Minor Works is a term used to describe changes, upgrades, additions, alterations to buildings and infrastructure. This is not to be confused with Maintenance which covers repairs to and up-keep of existing building elements. For example: 

Minor Works Maintenance
Additional Power Socket(s) Power socket not working
Relocate desk and tidy cables Electrical cable damaged
Additional Shelving Requirements  Whiteboard/Noticeboard damaged


If you need to have building or space changes made to a University Building, you will need to contact and work with the Buildings and Estates Department.

  • In order to start this process, you will need to complete a ‘Minor Works Request Form’ Minor Works Form
  • The completed form signed by the Head of Department should be sent to the Buildings Office AM-065.  The request will be logged and an email will be sent to confirm receipt of the form.
  • A member of the Buildings and Estates Team will make contact with you to discuss the proposed works and gather sufficient information to generate a quote.  Works will only proceed on receipt of transfer of funds/official purchase order number.


  • Buildings and Estates will provide you with a quote from our default in-house contractors. You are not obliged to use in-house contractors, however any such works will have to go through the Minor Works process and the works, the methodology and the contractors used will have to be vetted, approved and coordinated by B&E.
  • Note also that it is your responsibility to comply with relevant procurement procedures.

It should be noted that the Summer break(June-August) is always a busy time for the Buildings and Estates Department, and therefore all works that need to be carried out during this period should be requested providing as much notice as possible.

Full details on the Minor Works process are outlined on the Minor Works Process Flowchart.  A detailed explanation of Cost Estimates can be found here.

Health and Safety Awareness

Please note that departments should not arrange to undertake works involving alterations, additions, fixing to, maintenance, servicing, or breaches to the integrity of the University premises and/or service systems without consulting the Buildings and Estates Department as this may lead to Health and Safety being compromised and statutory regulations being breached.