The complete programme of insurance cover under the administration of the Buildings and Estates Department is as follows:

  • Property Damage & Business Interruption 
  • Employers Liability
  • Public & Products Liability
  • Professional Indemnity
  • Motor
  • Fine Arts
  • Business Travel
  • Marine Hull
  • Engineering  
  • Environmental Impairment Liability
  • Cyber Liability
  • Directors and Officers Liability 
  • Computer
  • Travel 

The Travel Policy arranged by the University provides cover in respect of trips approved by the University, which are no longer than 30 days in duration, for employees or persons engaged on the business of the University are insured. Policy information for staff or persons engaged on the business of UL is available here (pdf format). If cover is required for trips for a longer duration, the University must specifically inform the Insurer, prior to such trips being undertaken.

The Travel Policy arranged by the University provides cover in respect of any official SAUL educational trip or Erasmus placement organised by the Insured. Policy Information for Erasmus and Saul students is available here (pdf format)

Policy Excess

An excess of €100 shall apply to each and every claim under the following sections of cover;

  • Medical Expenses & Emergency Travel Expenses
  • Personal Property
  • Money
  • Cancellation, Curtailment, Rearrangement, Replacement, Missed Departure, and Travel Delay

COVID19 / Infectious Disease / Pandemic

There is no specific blanket COVID19, Infectious Disease / Pandemic exclusion applying to the policy. However, the policy is subject to the standard Policy terms conditions & exclusions some of which may be applicable to COVID, Infectious Disease / Pandemic related claims.

With respect to Erasmus & SAUL trips - The Policy will not cover any claims for cancellation, curtailment, rearrangement, replacement, missed departure, and travel delay as a result of a pandemic, epidemic, or any event declared by the World Health Organization as a public health emergency of international concern issued by the World Health Organization. 

It is essential to register your travel at; and you must read and follow the travel advice for the destination country at the following link:

UL's travel insurance is provided on the basis of no travel to Afghanistan, Chechnya, Iraq, Somalia, North Korea, Russia, Ukraine or Belarus. If a staff member wishes to travel to any such country UL must advise insurers if cover is required as insurers will quote on a trip by trip basis.

PLEASE NOTE: In the event of an accident/theft you must obtain a local police report in order to file a claim.

Sabbatical and other special leave: The University can arrange that the Travel Policy provides cover for sabbaticals, special research leave, professional development and other approved leave provided the employee continues to be employed by UL for the duration of the leave. Sabbaticals, special research leave, professional development, and other approved leave are typically for periods of between 2 and 12 months. However, if the period is longer than this, it may be considered a secondment and as such may not be possible to cover. Any such scenario should be referred to in good time, prior to departure.

Guidelines and the process in place for confirming insurance cover for research: Guidelines on Insurance Cover for Research

Other Frequently Asked Questions on insurance cover for research (including information on professional indemnity insurance cover): Professional Indemnity FAQ's

For further assistance please contact the Insurance Administrator

For additional information on research ethics matters, please refer to:

Should a Department/Division invite a contractor/ external group to University of Limerick, one must ensure the visitors hold current public and employers' liability insurances to the levels of €6.5m and €13m respectively.

The University's insurance cover is adequate to cover all normal purchases completed throughout the year, without the need to update the University's insurance. However, if your Department purchases a particularly expensive new piece of Plant or Equipment (over €50,000 in value), you should inform

With regard to items of equipment received on loan, although the University's Contents insurance covers loss or damage to University property or property for which we have assumed responsibility, we may need to make special arrangements for the insurance of non-owned property in certain circumstances.

If in doubt, or if the item is particularly valuable or irreplaceable, contact for relevant advice or to put special insurance arrangements in place.