Course Code: MSIDHTTFBD/MSIDHTTPBD/MSHTMTPBD
Available: Part- Time Full- Time
Duration: Full-time Route:1 Year, Part-time Route A: 20 Months, Part-time Route B: 24 Months
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Taught Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
Application Deadline: Monday, November 15, 2021
On this programme, students will gain the confidence to innovate and apply their learnings, as individuals and as team members, adopting a patient-centric approach to their decision-making and actions, to solve problems and overcome challenges within their healthcare system. This is achieved via digital asynchronous delivery, supported with synchronous tutorials, workshops, guest talks by digital health consultants and specialists in health sector industries. All coursework is via assignments and through the medium of undertaking a substantial project, members of each group will integrate and apply their previous learnings to develop a digital transformation solution or capability that will have a significant positive impact on their health service. This programme can be completed in one of three modes: over one calendar year; over 20 months or over two calendar years.
The University of Limerick will partner with the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME), other academic institutions and healthcare organisations in the delivery of this programme. CHIME is a “professional organization for Chief Information Officers and other senior healthcare IT leaders. CHIME enables its members and business partners to collaborate, exchange ideas, develop professionally and advocate the effective use of information management to improve the health and care throughout the communities they serve” (https://chimecentral.org/).
Implementing large-scale change involving digital health technologies requires an organisation to prepare leaders who
- are flexible, highly adaptable and motivated by outcomes that realise benefits;
- have the capacity to build patient-centred models of care, engaging with stakeholders to realise the benefits of digital technologies in health and social care to empower patients and enhance their experiences;
- can effectively and consistently engage with patients and staff, bridging cultural differences and managing varying attitudes to change;
- can build a business case for cooperating with process improvements and emerging digital technologies to facilitate information sharing in a more integrated care environment to improve clinical development and clinical outcomes; and
- are capable of directing the planning and deployment of resources in a digital transformation project
Could this be you?
If so, you may wish to apply for the MSc. in International Digital Health Transformation.
This programme aims to develop digital health transformation agents with the skills, knowledge and abilities to:
- explore healthcare ecosystem developments, engaging patients, providers, payers, policymakers, pharmacies and pharmaceuticals (6Ps) to facilitate collaboration and knowledge sharing to realise the value potential of these innovative partnerships; and
- lead core, adjacent and transformational innovations in a healthcare environment, taking a disciplined approach to better understand exponential technologies along with their potential, in order to realise the transformative power of digital disruptions;
all the while taking cognisance of the social, legal, ethical and technical issues and ensuring compliance with the standards and regulations governing systems in this domain.
Programme Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this course, graduates will have the skills, knowledge and abilities to:
- Understand the dimensions of a patient-centric health ecosystem in order to identify innovation potential.
- Assess the potential of exponential technologies and digital services to facilitate collaboration and the sharing of information and knowledge to realise the benefits of an integrated care environment.
- Determine how the healthcare industry can best leverage digital technologies to improve clinical development and clinical outcomes having considered information governance challenges.
- Understand and apply the fundamental principles and key concepts of developing and managing an innovation culture in a healthcare context.
- Anticipate and plan for the acceptance and diffusion of transformational innovations among patient groups and healthcare employees.
- Conduct data collection and analysis to inform the development of healthcare innovations.
- Utilise user-centred design principles and methods in the development of innovative digital services.
- Report on economic evaluations of health technologies.
- Adopt rigorous evaluation methods to identify potential opportunities for incorporating exponential technologies in healthcare.
- Understand the need for organisations to be agile in adjusting strategies as innovations evolve.
A participant registers to undertake this programme in one of three modes:
- Full-time Route: 1 Year 3 Semesters; Year 1: January to Year 1: December
- Part-time Route A: 20 Months 5 Semesters; Year 1: January to Year 2: August
- Part-time Route B: 24 Months 6 Semesters; Year 1: January to Year 2: December
Each mode comprises the following modules:
- CS6522: Digital Health Innovation Ecosystems 6 credits
- CS6532: Healthcare Design Thinking 6 credits
- CS6542: Health Information Management 6 credits
- CS6552: Project Definition A 3 credits
- CS6562: Digital Health Applications and Services 6 credits
- CS6183: Action Research in Healthcare 6 credits
- CS6193: Digital Health Project Management 6 credits
- CS6203: Project Definition B 3 credits
- CS6213: mHealth Apps and Devices 6 credits
- CS6233: Transformation Project A 9 credits
- CS6084: Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare 6 credits
- Selection 1 from Elective Pool 6 credits
- Selection 2 from Elective Pool 6 credits
- CS6094: Transformation Project B 15 credits
- CS6104: Decision-Making in Healthcare
- CS6114: Fundamentals of Machine Learning for Healthcare
- CS6144: Introduction to Deep Learning in Healthcare
- CS6154: Healthcare Applications Development
Digital Health Transformation Project
Through the medium of undertaking a substantial project, members of each group will integrate and apply their previous learning to develop a digital transformation solution or capability that will have a significant positive impact on their health service. This project forms one-third of the programme’s credits, split over the following modules: CS6552, CS6203, CS6233 and CS6094.
Programme Structure by Mode
The programme structure by semester for each mode can be accessed at the following links:
- Full-time Route programme structure
- Part-time Route A programme structure
- Part-time Route B programme structure
For an overview of module contact please click here.
We invite applications from healthcare professionals/administrators/managers/officers, IT specialists with experience of working in a healthcare sector/industry, and health scientists. Each applicant should possess a minimum of 2nd class honours, grade 2 in their primary degree (Level 8, National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) or equivalent.
Applicants with at least five years’ work experience in a healthcare sector/industry who can satisfy the course admission team they have the ability to complete and benefit from this course. Such applicants shall be required to undertake an interview.
What to Include with your Application
- Qualification transcripts and certificates
- A copy passport page containing your photograph
- one page resume or curriculum vitae: listing your work experience, education, skills and achievements
- a digital health transformation idea: two paragraphs on an idea of yours for a digital health transformation project
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here