The Active Consent Workshops will be rolled out to all undergraduate incoming first-year students next week from September 20th -23rd. As we have seen from the USI Sexual Experience Survey in 2020 and the Healthy UL Surveys (2019 & 2020) the campus culture regarding consent needs to be changed. Understanding what is meant by consent is essential for positive sexual relationships. One of the many things you learn during the workshops is Active Consent is OMFG.
Active Consent Workshop Contents
The online workshop introduces a variety of topics and issues such as:
- What is consent? The legal definitions of consent, including the most recent Irish law on Image Based Sexual Abuse.
- What does non-consent look like?
- Realistic fictional scenarios that explore the nuances of consent
- Real time Slido voting exploring popular consent beliefs
- What do other young people think? - facts and findings presented from our research in an engaging and easy to digest format
- The ‘grey areas’ of consent:
- Alcohol / drugs
- Social norms
- Gender stereotypes
- Body language & non-verbal communication