Available: Part- Time
Duration: 2 Years
Award: Masters (MSc)
Qualification: NFQ Level 9 Major Award
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Taught Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
The course will create graduates that understand the theory and practical application of quality management tools and techniques, with particular emphasis on the areas of Lean and Six Sigma as they would apply to their own organisation. It will educate and train participants in specific quality management skills in both the lean and six sigma domains and in strategic and transferable business skills. A graduate of the programme will be considered a Master Black Belt in Lean and Six Sigma.
This Masters programme is also available as an apprenticeship with up to 80% fees paid by SOLAS & HEA. To find out more about whether you are eligible for apprenticeship funding, please see here
For Professionals Who
- Are responsible for or actively engaged in organisational improvement and development through the use of quality management.
- Wish to develop a comprehensive understanding of the theory and practical application of quality management tools and techniques.
- Seek recognition as a Master Black Belt in Lean and Six Sigma.
How It Works
- This flexible programme lets students take 2 taught modules per semester, in combination with project work, until the programme is completed.
- Course delivery combines traditional distance education with online learning and approximately three on-campus days per semester.
- Talks by industry/professional experts who will deliver seminars linking theory to practice.
- Completion of a Lean Project and a Six Sigma Project with an enterprise assessment and implementation plan to develop students’ skills in the field of lean sigma
The Masters in Strategic Quality Management, Lean Sigma Systems is a 2 year programme, but applicants who have already completed either or both Specialist Diplomas in Lean and/or Six Sigma at the University of Limerick can apply to be enrolled directly to Year 2 of the Masters and complete within one year.
Enterprise Improvement Project
Completion of this programme requires a substantial industry-based project, to be reported in the form of an enterprise assessment and Lean Sigma implementation road map. Projects require the application of the concepts covered throughout the programme and carry an expectation of helping participant organisations realise a verified benefit of approximately €150,000.
|Autumn Semester||Spring Semester|
|Year 1||Lean Thinking/Lean Tools 1||Lean Thinking/Lean Tools 2|
|Leadership & Change Management||Lean Project/Lean Healthcare Project|
|Year 2||Quality Science Statistics||Problem Solving Tools & Techniques|
|Advanced Quality Science Statistics||Advanced Quality Science Statistics|
|Summer||Enterprise Improvement Project|
|Note on programme routes|
There are a number of routes through the Masters in Strategic Quality Management, Lean Sigma Systems.
Applicants require a 2.1 degree (NFQ level 8) in any discipline or equivalent and at least three years relevant work experience.
Applicants who have completed the Specialist Diploma in Lean Systems and/or Six Sigma are eligible for exemptions from those modules on this programme.
What to Include with your Application
Delays in receiving these documents will affect the progress of your application.
- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
- Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
- A copy of your most recent CV.
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language requirements:
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
The cost of the programme is €14,000. This is payable in 4 equal instalments of €3,500 over 4 semesters. There are 2 semesters per year. If an applicant has previously completed a Specialist Diploma in Lean or Six Sigma from U.L, their fee will be reduced accordingly.For information on funding and scholarships please click here.