Qualification: NFQ Level 8
Faculty: Education and Health Sciences
Course Type: Taught Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
Application Deadline: Friday, October 9, 2020
The Certificate in Nursing (Nurse/Midwife Prescribing) is a six month course in the UL Department of Nursing & Midwifery that aims to prepare nurses/midwives as independent prescribers enabling them to provide patients with effective access to medications, and expands the role of nurses and midwives in progressing the health care needs of the future.
This course facilitates flexible, student-friendly access to learning and students will be based in practice throughout. Each participant will be under the guidance of a formally agreed medical practitioner, who will provide student supervision and support learning opportunities.
Full course details can be found on the Certificate in Nursing (Nurse/Midwife Prescribing) course page.
Programme Content (Semester by semester):
NS5251 Professional, Ethical, Legal and Interpersonal Dimensions to Nurse/Midwife Prescribing
NS5261 Drug Action and Prescribing
NS5271 Systematic Assessment and Evaluation in Patient Care
NS5281 Clinical Practicum in Nurse/Midwife Prescribing 1
NS5282 Clinical Practicum in Nurse/Midwife Prescribing 2
Due to the nature of the course, there are a number of strict entry requirements for applicants:
- Registration as nurse or midwife on the live register of Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland
- Minimum of 3 years post-registration clinical experience (The required clinical practice experience must have been gained within the past 5 years with at least one year in the area in which prescribing is proposed and excludes time spent undertaking further post registration programmes)
- Possession of competencies recognised at Level 8 of the NQAI framework
- Demonstration of continuous professional development and the ability to study at level 8
- Support from employer and complete Site Declaration form, signed by the Director of Nursing/Midwifery/Public Health
- Nomination and confirmation of a designated medical practitioner mentor (completed site declaration form signed by the Medical practitioner/Mentor) who will provide the student with supervision support and opportunities including shadowing opportunities during the period of the programme.