Available: Part- Time
Duration: I Year
Award: Professional Diploma
Qualification: NFQ Level 9 Minor Award
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
The one year part-time Professional Diploma in Healthcare Products and Services Development is a subset of the UL MSc in Design for Health and Wellbeing, directly addresses product and strategic design.
Design is an important driver of economic growth, integral to both industry and society. EGFSN together for Design (2020) identified three major types of design as important for Ireland’s economic success: - Digital design;(Digital Media, Interaction Design, Web Design) - Product design; (Product Design Innovation, Process Design, Manufacturing Design) and - Strategic design; (Service Design, Design Thinking, Co-Design, Design Management, Design Innovation).
The curriculum focuses on, product specification, concept development, concept testing and evaluation, prototyping and design for manufacture/delivery that is the lifecycle of the product and service development processes.
Graduates of this course will be able to:
- Support the full lifecycle of product or service development processes from concept to implementation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and ability to apply current, and impending, legislation, regulation, standards related to the development of health services and products, including IEC62366, ISO13485 and HE75.
- Apply product design principles in the development of innovative concepts and delivery of solutions to health and wellbeing challenges, using appropriate design tools.
- Appreciate the role of human physiology and anatomy on the design and use of healthcare products and the delivery of healthcare services.
The programme is delivered in a design studio environment, through flexible online and on-campus teaching. The focus is on cultivating a culture of creativity, peer learning and transdisciplinary collaboration. The approach is based on real-world challenges linked with industry (medical devices, life sciences) and healthcare providers. Through this real-world approach students learn to evaluate concepts and innovate solutions. Participants will see products in use in a clinical setting as well as work on industry partner specified development requests.
GM4002 ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY: overview of core body systems and their changes across lifespan and different types of treatments
CA4003 CAREER DEVELOPMENT: job readiness and future employability training
PD6022 CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION: user centred design and concept testing and design refinement
PD6002 HUMAN FACTORS IN HEALTH SYSTEM: how Human Factors affects all aspects of product and systems design in health contexts
IE2011 INDUSTRY LEARNING PROJECT: Application of course content in a real life setting
ECTS credits: 42
Applicants must have a 1st or 2nd class Level 8 honours degree (NFQ or internationally recognised equivalent) in a relevant subject or equivalent prior learning that is recognised by the University as meeting this requirement.
Applicants must also satisfy the English Language Requirements of the University. The University reserves the right to shortlist and interview applicants.
Applications are welcome from students of design and non-design backgrounds with an interest in innovating solutions for healthcare and wellbeing challenges and opportunities.
Backgrounds can include, but are not limited to, technical disciplines (science and engineering), business, medicine, allied health, social sciences.
Supporting documentation will be reviewed by Course Director and course team.
What to Include with your Application
- Qualification transcripts and certificates
- A copy of your birth certificate or passport
- A statement of interest as to why you would like to be considered for the professional diploma in Healthcare Products and Service Development
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here