Available: Part- Time
Duration: 2 Years
Qualification: NFQ Level 9 Major Award
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Research Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
Application Deadline: Thursday, June 30, 2022
The ESE Academy (E-Cubers) has partnered with the University of Limerick (UL) to deliver Ireland’s first Equipment Systems Engineering apprenticeship at level 9 (MEng).
This Apprenticeship programme provides experienced engineers with a comprehensive framework to manage the implementation of Industry 4.0 innovations in their employer’s equipment. This two-year MEng, in conjunction with vibrant Communities of Practice (CoP), provides an ideal framework for the apprentice to comprehensively and efficiently evaluate both disruptive and sustaining innovation solutions. After they have qualified as Equipment Systems Engineers (ESEs), learners will be able to remain engaged with the CoPs throughout their long and productive careers.
This two-year research programme is structured for blended delivery of online learning and face-to-face sessions, which minimizes time ‘off the job’.
How it Works
This two-year programme is structured for blended delivery of online learning and face to face sessions which minimizes time ‘off the job’. It includes:
- Introductory Bootcamp at the beginning of Year 1.
- Up to 12 disruptive innovation sprints delivered remotely.
- Up to 12 technology provider sprints delivered remotely.
- Participation in an annual eExpo.
- A dedicated Masters Thesis supervisor.
- Participation in a ‘Community of Practice’.
- Support from an Industry Mentor within the company throughout the apprenticeship.
- Submit an Academic Thesis and undergo a Viva Voce.
For Professionals Who
- Procure, design, manufacture, commission, support or optimise Industry 4.0 equipment for the high-tech manufacturing sector in Ireland.
- Have significant expertise of Industry 4.0 technologies as applied to manufacturing equipment.
- Wish to collaborate with others to broaden their overall access to emerging research, technologies and best working practice to meet the challenges of Industry 4.0.
- Wish to improve their abilities to perform applied research in the high-tech manufacturing equipment domain.
- Have a strong desire to be recognised as technical leaders in a topic relevant to Equipment Systems Engineering.
- Have been selected by their employer to apply the knowledge gained during this course for the procurement or optimisation of manufacturing equipment in accordance with Industry 4.0.
- Have a degree and/or considerable industrial experience in the field.
|Equipment Systems Engineer Apprenticeship Masters by Research|
|Boot Camp – on campus event||
3 x Day introduction to the programme covering:
1. Research Fundamentals
2. Digital Innovation Transformation
3. Digital Equipment Technologies
|Disruptive Innovation Sprints - delivered remotely.||12 x i4.0 TOPICS delivered weekly via flipped classroom with a live Q&A with an expert practitioner in the topic each week.|
|Propose a “Disruptive Opportunity”||Define the hypothesis, which will form the basis of your research and thesis.|
|Technology Provider Sprints – delivered remotely.||12 x Provider Platform technologies delivered weekly via flipped classroom with a live Q&A with an expert practitioner in the topic each week.|
|eEXPO – on campus event||After working on their Literature Review, the learner must outline their “Innovative Solution” to their peers. It will be reviewed to determine if it is at an acceptable level prior to the learner progressing.|
|Applied research of the Innovative Solution.||Application and testing phase of the research in partnership with the Academic Supervisor and Industry Mentor|
|Demonstrate a “Proof of Principle (PoP) of the Innovative Solution”|
|Write-up Research Thesis and Innovative Solution Report||Write and present Masters Thesis for examination|
|Present “Innovative Solution Report” for review at eEXPO|
Alongside your topics you will be engaged in ongoing Communities of Practice (CoP). This an integral part of your programme and includes:
- Peer Learning
- Mentoring - recording your meetings with your in-company mentor
- Employers must be approved by UL & SOLAS and commit to support the apprentice throughout the programme.
- Support from an industry mentor within the company throughout the apprenticeship.
- Apprentices should hold a NFQ level 8 at minimum level 2.2 in a relevant area. Applicants who have completed a level 8 apprenticeship in a related field are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants with a lower qualification may also be considered provided they can prove to have considerable industrial experience as well as evidence of the ability to study at Masters Level.
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
Company Registration Process: No Charge
Online Student Application Fee: €35 (€40 if paying by cheque or postal order)
Annual Student Contribution Fee: 30% of UL student contribution fee is payable. For 2022/2023, this will be €900*
*It should be noted that these fees are subject to change depending on the programme of study and external funder’s requirements
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.orgFor information on funding and scholarships please click here.