Course Code: MSENPRTPAD
Available: Part- Time
Duration: 1 year
Qualification: NFQ Level 9 Major Award
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Taught Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
The Masters in Engineering Practice is a new and innovative Masters Programme offered by the School of Engineering at the University of Limerick. This programme is attractive to our industry learners as it provides a flexible way to combine previous studies i.e. Two Professional Diplomas with a thesis to receive a Masters in Engineering Practice award.
If you are looking to progress your career and participate on an academic programme that will enable you develop your problem-solving skills as well as build on your strengths from your previous qualifications, then the Masters in Engineering practice is a programme for you. This programme aims through a one-year thesis deliverable to give you an opportunity to produce a significant piece of research and practical work that is industry focused.
This programme is attractive to our industry learners as it provides a flexible way to combine previous studies i.e. Two Professional Diplomas, one which must have been completed within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, with a thesis to receive a Masters in Engineering Practice award.
Through the medium of blended learning, learners will develop very quickly an active online learning environment where they are supported by their academic supervisor during the thesis proposal phase right up to the final presentation of their work.
There is a strong focus on engagement and collaboration with fellow learners and the different industries during the thesis phase. The introduction of an industry thesis champion who acts as a mentor for the learner provides the programme continued support from leading experts in engineering disciplines. Ensuring that there continues to be a focus on current practice, and leading-edge research on the programme.
Linking our learners with the practice of engineering both at technical and management level will produce graduates who are employable at leadership roles within their organisations.
If you have completed TWO Professional Diplomas in the following areas:
- Operations Management
Your thesis route will continue to focus on your area of interest.
This semester you will participate on a thesis preparation module where you will produce a thesis proposal and present your work to a team of academics and invited industry experts
This semester you will continue to work on your thesis and present regularly to your designated academic supervisor. At the end of this semester you will submit your work in a documented format and you will be required to present your work to an invited audience in a formal setting as part of your final thesis assessment
Why do this course?
This programme will offer you the learner:-
- A flexible way to combine your previous two Professional Diploma awards with a thesis to receive a Masters in Engineering Practice
- A dedicated online learning space to work with academics and fellow learners on developing your thesis proposal and produce a final written academic report
- An opportunity to present at various stages your work to date and engage in a Q&A style session with a team of academics and invited experts
- A deeper understanding of engineering practices by researching specific areas of interest
- An environment to work with other learners who are establishing what current practice is in various engineering practices and sharing this knowledge in a dedicated space
- Further opportunities to disseminate your work and exploit your current research
Entry to the MSc in Engineering Practice is based on applicants having
Two Professional Diploma awards (30 ECTS each) at Level 9, with a minimum second class honours grade two (2.2) or equivalent, as deemed appropriate by the Academic Programme Director. One of these Professional Diplomas must be a programme completed and awarded by the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
Entry to a route/specialism is based on applicants having completed one of the Professional Diplomas in their chosen route. Six routes are currently offered as listed below. The route will be indicated in your academic transcript.
2. Operations Management
If you have not completed a 30 ECTS Level 9 Professional Diploma at the University of Limerick but have done so at another Academic Institution, then your application will be reviewed by the Academic Programme Director at the School of Engineering at the University of Limerick.
You will be be given an exemption of 60 credits on entering the MSc programme if you have met the entry qualifications of two (2) 30 ECTS Level 9 PDs. This specific programme can be considered as a 36 ECTS capstone to two PDs. The overall MSc award will be 96 ECTS.
This is a direct entry programme with applicants following the standard Graduate and Professional Studies (GPS) admissions process.
What to Include with your Application
Delays in receiving these documents will affect the progress of your application.
- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
- Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
- A copy of your most recent CV.
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language requirements:
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
For fees please click here. Fees are subject to review
This programme has secured funding under the Aviation Skillnet. Eligible companies and individuals can secure a 25% contribution towards course fees. You or your employer should contact Maeve O Neill, at 061 423 622 or email@example.com , to confirm that you are eligible for support. Subject to terms and conditions.For information on funding and scholarships please click here.