Duration: 1 Semester
Award: University Certificate of Study
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
Application Deadline: Friday, December 11, 2020
This module aims to introduce students to the requirements of a Doctorate in Engineering (DEng). It is aimed at those who have an interest in starting doctoral level studies related to their professional practice.
During this module, students will prepare a Research Proposal Portfolio which they will submit and present to an Academic Board.
To find out more about the Doctorate in Engineering visit the programme page.
HOW TO APPLY
If you want to apply for this module, please email email@example.com
- 8 week module beginning in January
The module involves a reflective component exploring the following:
- What is a doctorate?
- How to develop a professional portfolio?
- What is knowledge - academic and professional knowledge?
- Philosophy of research. Professional development.
- The Engineer as a Professional. Delivering a unique contribution to professional knowledge.
- Identification and assessment of on-going research within their profession; Engineering Ethics, Engineers in Society, Responsibility in Engineering.
Participants will be required to identify a problem that is significant to their industry or profession to propose an appropriate approach to solving this problem. This problem definition will form the basis of a submission to the Professional Doctorate in Engineering Academic Board.
The module will be delivered during a 1-day workshop followed by support sessions (one-to-one, group, on-campus or online as necessary), to develop a reflective portfolio. The module will be assessed on a pass/fail basis after paper submission and presentation to the Academic Board.