Duration: 1 Semester
Award: University Certificate of Study
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
Application Deadline: Friday, December 11, 2020
This module aims to introduce students to the requirements of a Doctorate in Engineering (DEng). It is aimed at those who have an interest in starting doctoral level studies related to their professional practice.
During this module, students will prepare a Research Proposal Portfolio which they will submit and present to an Academic Board.
To find out more about the Doctorate in Engineering visit the programme page.
HOW TO APPLY
- 1 Day on campus plus 6 weeks to complete and submit work
The module involves a reflective component exploring the following:
- What is a doctorate?
- How to develop a professional portfolio?
- What is knowledge - academic and professional knowledge?
- Philosophy of research. Professional development.
- The Engineer as a Professional. Delivering a unique contribution to professional knowledge.
- Identification and assessment of on-going research within their profession; Engineering Ethics, Engineers in Society, Responsibility in Engineering.
Participants will be required to identify a problem that is significant to their industry or profession to propose an appropriate approach to solving this problem. This problem definition will form the basis of a submission to the Professional Doctorate in Engineering Academic Board.
The module will be delivered during a 1-day workshop followed by support sessions (one-to-one, group, on-campus or online as necessary), to develop a reflective portfolio. The module will be assessed on a pass/fail basis after paper submission and presentation to the Academic Board.
Once your application has been accepted you will be emailed an invoice for a non-refundable module fee of €250. Payment instructions will be outlined on invoice.