Register your interest here for more information or to be notified when applications are open.
Next Intake: Autumn 2024
Please ensure you enter the Module Code above when applying for this module. Applications without this cannot be processed. You may apply for more than one module under the same application.
Fundamentals of the Law
Fundamentals of the Law is an introductory module of the underpinnings of the Irish legal system. The module provides the student with a basic knowledge of the Irish legal system, the Irish Constitution, the legal profession in Ireland, sources of Irish law, European Union law, Criminal law, and Tort law.
On the successful completion of this module participants will understand:
- Recount fundamental concepts of the Irish legal system;
- Explain the Irish Court structure, and the personnel involved;
- Differentiate between the sources of law which operate within a common law jurisdiction and summarise the methods of interpretation;
- Outline core principles relating to four primary areas of Irish law, namely constitutional, criminal, tort and European Union Law;
- Locate and interpret the relevant case law in the area;
- Evaluate the accessibility of the Irish legal system.
The module will be assessed by continuous assessment including a midterm and in-term and end of term essays.
This course is aimed at anyone interested in learning about the Irish legal system. Each candidate is considered on an individual basis whose academic qualifications, work experience, motivation and overall potential for the programme are evaluated.
Entry requirements are established to ensure the learner can engage with the course material and assessments, at a level suitable to their needs, and the academic requirements of the module. By applying to this micro-credential, you are confirming that you have reviewed and understand any such requirements, and that you meet the eligibility criteria for admission.
Successful completion of this module does not automatically qualify you for entry into a further award. All programme applicants must meet the entry requirements listed if applying for a further award.