Course Code: PHSPHYRFAD
Available: Full- Time
Duration: 4 Years
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Research
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
The structured PhD programme is the advancement of knowledge through a high-quality experience of original research which is integrated with professional development. It develops students’ research knowledge and transferable skills through a formalised and integrated programme of activities. This programme develops advanced research skills for postgraduate research students in Science and Engineering Faculty.
- The PhD consists of two stages: the structured (taught modules) and the research element.
- The structured PhD provides a taught in a core programme that develops transferable research skills.
- The structured element also provides specialist disciplinary teaching to bring understanding to international research levels.
- The research element develops skills for graduates to be active and autonomous researchers.
- The Structured PhD contains the Taught component (minimum 30 credits) and Research Element (240-330 credits)
- Taught component consists of general transferable research skills (18 credits: 6 modules at 3 credits each), and subject-specific modules (minimum 12 credits). The research element comprises the remaining 240-330 credits
- Applicants will normally be expected to hold an Honours degree (minimum 2.1) or equivalent in a discipline appropriate to their area of proposed research.
- Entry points may differ for applicants with postgraduate qualifications. Please contact the Course Director for further information.