Read instructions on how to applyExpress Interest
Register your interest here for more information or to be notified when applications are open.
This programme provides a comprehensive marketing education through exposure to key theoretical tenets coupled with reflective engagement on the interface between marketing and consumption in contemporary society. Providing ‘real world’ experience through ‘live’ projects, the programme includes specialist laboratory and computer facilities and incorporates a residential workshop.
The MSc in Marketing, Consumption & Society aims to provide candidates with a comprehensive marketing education through an exposure to key theoretical tenets of the field coupled with a reflective engagement on the interface between marketing and the nature of consumption in contemporary society. Thus, the programme aims to equip candidates with a thorough grounding in marketing theory and research, provide a comprehensive understanding of consumer culture, and instil an appreciation of marketing's responsibilities to organisations and to society.
Among the core objectives of the programme are:
- To provide an understanding of marketing as a business philosophy and organisational function.
- To foster a critical appreciation of the discipline's major theoretical debates.
- To develop a discerning recognition of the role marketing plays in, and responsibilities marketing has to the firm and to society as a whole.
- To identify the nature of consumer culture and to critically examine consumption decisions and behaviours.
- To nurture a judicious understanding of the issues and trends currently affecting the practice of marketing.
- To develop a theoretical and practical understanding of epistemological alternatives relevant to the pursuit of marketing knowledge.
- To provide a practical overview of the variety of methodological procedures relevant to the pursuit of marketing knowledge.
- To support the production of an independent piece of research on a subject of importance to the discipline of marketing.
- To develop key personal and professional skills in areas including decision-making, creativity, reflexivity, collaboration, and narrativity.
Double Degree Opportunity
This programme offers a dual degree opportunity at the following French partners: Audencia Business School (Nantes), Excelia Business School (La Rochelle), Neoma Business School (Reims or Rouen), Rennes Business School, and Toulouse Business School. The dual degree opportunity involves studying for a second year at the dual degree partner, at the end of which students will receive their MSc. from the University of Limerick as well as a Masters from the dual degree partner.
The MSc. in Marketing, Consumption & Society is a one-year, full-time programme. The programme consists of two semesters and a research paper to be completed over the Summer.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Summer|
Content of modules can be found by using the search option on the book of modules.
The minimum entry requirement is normally a 2:2 honours primary degree (Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) or the overseas equivalent as determined by the Programme Team in consultation with University of Limerick Graduate School Admissions. The nature of the programme allows for consideration of applicants from a range of cognate disciplines (for example, business studies, cultural studies, media studies, sociology etc.) where they will have been exposed to learning with regard to the discipline and practice of Marketing and/or consumer society.
Where candidates are non-native English language speakers, certified demonstrable achievement in TOEFL English Language Competency Test will be required.
Candidates may be interviewed as part of the selection process to determine their suitability.
WHAT TO INCLUDE WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
- Qualification transcripts and certificates
- A copy of your birth certificate (long document)
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
GUIDELINES ON COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
To ensure a speedy assessment of your application, please upload the above documents with your application form.
Please title appropriately any documents you are uploading with the application form, for example "Supporting Statement", "Undergraduate Transcript", "Postgraduate Transcript", "English Language Certificate" etc.
EU - €9,250
Non- EU - €17,543
Further information on fees and payment of fees is available from the Student Fees Office website. All fee related queries should be directed to the Student Fees Office (Phone: +353 61 213 007 or email email@example.com.)
The programme is designed to prepare graduates for careers in Marketing Management, Public Sector Marketing & Creative Marketing.