Read instructions on how to applyExpress Interest
Register your interest here for more information or to be notified when applications are open.
Equips graduates with the skills, knowledge and abilities to evaluate the opportunities and limitations of health care technology and its impact on improving the efficiency, cost-effectiveness, safety and quality of health care delivery, taking cognisance of the social, legal, ethical and technical issues and ensuring compliance with the standards and regulations governing systems in this domain.
Health informatics is a multi-disciplinary, multi-dimensional field. This field focuses on the creation, modelling, management and sharing of health data and knowledge to support data analysis and timely decision-making in medicine and health care together with the information science and technology to support these tasks. It is not solely a technical discipline but focuses on the relationship between the technology and its use in real-world settings i.e. solutions are designed in context, taking into account the social, cultural and organisational settings in which computing and information technology will be used in health care sectors.
The M.Sc. in Health Informatics aims to equip graduates with the skills, knowledge and abilities to:
- Evaluate the opportunities and limitations of health care technology and of its impact in improving the efficiency,
- cost-effectiveness, safety and quality of health care delivery.
- Express user requirements for health care information systems.
- Integrate computing and managerial knowledge and experience with health-related knowledge and experience.
- Ensure compliance with the standards and regulations governing systems in this domain.
- Formulate, evaluate and apply evidence-based solutions in the delivery of health care.
This one-year programme comprises three semesters: two taught semesters; in the third semester students will complete a substantial dissertation. Standards in health care (systems, vocabulary, messaging and security), ethical and legal issues in health informatics as well as issues concerning quality and Human-Computer Interaction will be emphasised throughout this programme.
At least 50% of the material for each taught semester will be delivered via distance education. Students will be required to attend 5 in-house blocks each semester. An in-house block comprises a consecutive Friday and Saturday. In each academic year, one series of in-house blocks will be delivered at the University of Limerick (UL) and it is expected to deliver another series of in-house blocks at some other location in Ireland subject to demand.
Content of modules can be found by using the search option on the book of modules.
- A Health Care Administrator/Clerical Officer, Health Care Manager or Health Care Professional who holds a primary undergraduate degree (2.2 honours or higher)
- An applicant who holds a primary undergraduate degree (2.2 honours or higher) in a health sciences discipline
- An IT specialist who holds a primary undergraduate degree (2.2 honours or higher) with experience of working in a health care setting.
- An applicant with at least 5 years relevant work experience who can satisfy the course admission team that he/she has the ability to complete and benefit from this course. Such applicants shall be required to undertake an interview.
Note your degree must be an Honours (Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) degree or equivalent.
WHAT TO INCLUDE WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
- Qualification transcripts and certificates
- A copy of your birth certificate (long document)
- A statement of purpose
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
EU - €7,430
Non- EU - €20,700
Further information on fees and payment of fees is available from the Student Fees Office website. All fee related queries should be directed to the Student Fees Office (Phone: +353 61 213 007 or email email@example.com.)