Read instructions on how to applyExpress Interest
Register your interest here for more information or to be notified when applications are open.
Specifically designed to meet the needs of NON-BUSINESS graduates who wish to develop an understanding of major business disciplines and pursue a business career. Provides a grounding in the knowledge and application of management principles, systems and techniques to a variety of organisational settings and contexts.
The core aims of the Business Management programme are:
- To expose candidates to the fundamental principles underpinning modern management within a variety of organisational settings
- To introduce wider environmental factors affecting organisations, including core aspects of the macro economic environment
- To provide an understanding and appreciation of business process interdependencies
- To provide candidates with an understanding of marketing as a 'management technology'
- To examine the nature of the employment relationship, workplace behaviour and the management of human resources
- To develop a thorough understanding of the rationale and methods of aspects of information and knowledge management
- To introduce candidates to the fundamental concepts and practices of management accounting and finance
- To introduce candidates to Communication theory and to critically evaluate key issues in the field
- To explore issues impacting the management and handling of organisational strategy
- To develop and apply business skills to decision making and planning problems in a business environment; and
- To develop research and writing skills which will culminate in the submission of the MA Confirmation Paper.
The MA in Business Management is a one-year, full-time programme. It covers the fundamental business disciplines: accounting, business communications, economics, human resource management, information management, knowledge management, management principles, marketing management, organisational behaviour and strategic management.
The emphasis is on a practical approach to business coupled with a theoretical understanding. Students attend lectures and laboratory sessions. Case studies and project work on an individual and group basis form a significant part of the programme. The diversity of students backgrounds greatly enriches the learning experience.
|Autumn Semester||Spring Semester||Summer Semester|
|Estimated Contact hours per normal working week (09h00 - 18h00) : 13|
Content of modules can be found by using the search option on the book of modules.
Minimum of a second class honours primary degree (2.2) (Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) in any field other than Business or Commerce related fields.
In the case of international students, the overseas equivalent as determined by the Course Team in consultation with UL Graduate School Admissions. Where candidates are non-native English language speakers, certified demonstrable achievement in a Standard English Language Competency Test will be required.
Please note that we will begin making offers in January and will continue until the programme is full. The programme may be full before the closing date hence early application is advised.
Please have the following documents ready to upload with your application:
- Full degree transcript and certificates/awards (including English translation if applicable)
- References if desired
- A copy of your birth certificate (long document) or copy of passport
- If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
EU - € 9,000
Non- EU - €17,543
Further information on fees and payment of fees is available from the Student Fees Office website. All fee related queries should be directed to the Student Fees Office (Phone: +353 61 213 007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Students completing the MA in Business Management have progressed into many different careers at some of the best national and international employers. The MA has continued to achieve a very high employment rate with graduates employed directly and also successfully gaining entry to and completing competitive graduate entry programmes. Typical positions include technical, managerial, administrative, marketing sales and production process roles. Employers range from retail to financial services to medical device and pharmaceutical to food, agribusiness, engineering, software and social network technology firms.
Anders Follerås, Norway, MA Business Management Class of 2012, now working in Sales Management in the U.S.
By having my undergrad in International Relations and seeing that my job-life and interests were pointing towards a future in Business, I was looking for a masters in business suited for students with a non-business undergrad. At the same time I wanted to be in a place where there were people from several other nations. The fact that UK and Ireland offered 12month programs made me look at the area, and the history and culture of Ireland pulled me in that area. The reputation of ULs international programs and number of international students made me choose UL over Cork. Having worked two years before starting the program, I found that most of the classes helped me collect the threads and give me a general platform and understanding of the business world. I’m a fan of learning through practical examples and projects from the real world.
I work with category and sales management, and the classes that taught me critical thinking have really affected the way I work. It was great to get the knowledge on what the resources available are, but the secret is really how these resources are combined. People are different, organizations are different and the environments of operations are different, so the teaching of how to be aware of these has really helped me maneuver and at the same time equipped me with a sense of vision that not everyone has.