The ceremonies could not happen without the participation of academic and administrative staff of the University. These pages contain all the information you need to prepare for your role at the ceremony.
Order of Ceremony
- Nominees, proposers and members of Governing Authority, Academic Council and staff are robed and form the academic procession.
- The Vice President Academic & Registrar opens and closes the ceremony.
- The Chancellor initiates the proceedings with his welcome address.
- Each nominee is usually introduced by a senior academic, whose address should not be longer than eight minutes' duration.
- The President confers the honorary degree by presenting a suitably inscribed parchment.
- Each recipient is invited to sign the "Roll of Honour", which includes a photograph of the recipient and a printed copy of the citation. The President and Chancellor also sign the Roll of Honour.
University of Limerick honorary conferrings are formal occasions, and we ask attending staff to dress accordingly. Business attire is essential. Runners, denim or casual clothing are not permitted.
Staff who wish to take part in the academic procession should confirm their intention to do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff taking part in the academic procession should then present themselves, fully robed, 30 minutes in advance of the ceremony at the designated area as advised by the Ceremonies Manager.
For those wishing to hire academic robes for the ceremony: www.phelanconan.com/academic
For further information, please contact:
Telephone: 061-237991 / 202118