Congratulations on being selected as a recipient of a University of Limerick honorary doctorate. You will receive a letter from the Vice President Academic & Registrar confirming the date, time (usually 16h00) and venue of the ceremony. In advance of the ceremony you will be required to provide the following:
- How you wish your name to appear on the parchment and in the Conferring Book
- A list of guests you may wish to invite
- A black and white photograph (head and shoulders, 13 x 9cm) for inclusion in the Roll of Honour
- Your height (for robes)
- You will be provided with your robes, i.e. gown, hood and cap, which you may retain as a memento of the occasion.
Order of Ceremony
- Nominees, proposers and members of Governing Authority, Academic Council and staff are robed and form the academic procession.
- The Vice President Academic & Registrar opens and closes the ceremony.
- The Chancellor initiates the proceedings with his welcome address.
- Each nominee is usually introduced by a senior academic, whose address should not be longer than eight minutes' duration.
- The President confers the honorary degree by presenting a suitably inscribed parchment.
- Each recipient is invited to sign the "Roll of Honour", which includes a photograph of the recipient and a printed copy of the citation. The President and Chancellor also sign the Roll of Honour.
University of Limerick honorary conferrings are formal occasions, and we ask attending staff to dress accordingly.
- Men should wear a smart suit, shirt and tie and plain black shoes (no boots or runners). Jackets should be buttoned when on stage.
- Women should wear a smart dress or suit (skirt and jacket or trouser suit).
For further information please contact:
Telephone: 061-202022 / 234840