Cooperative Education gives you the chance to experience a real work environment before you graduate. For many students, the opportunity to do Coop is the reason they choose University of Limerick over other universities. Your Coop should help you to develop the skills you will need throughout your career, e.g. communication, problem-solving, teamwork, organisational awareness and ICT skills. Your placement should also help you to make decisions about your future career.
Cooperative Education is delivered in three main phases:
- Preparing for Cooperative Education
- Interviews and selection
- Placement and evaluation
The Cooperative Education Division provides a series of employability lectures, workshops and information sessions to support your understanding at each stage of the Cooperative Education programme. These commence in the 2nd semester of the year preceding your placement. The objectives of these sessions are to:
- Explain the main concept of the Cooperative Education Programme
- Advise you on how to present your skills on your Coop CV
- Help you to reflect and prepare for the opportunity and challenge of Cooperative Education
- Provide application and deadline details
- Prepare you for your Coop interview
- Advise you on employer expectations
- Advise you on evaluation of Coop
It is mandatory to attend these sessions as they provide essential information and give you the opportunity to meet those involved in arranging your placement and provide an opportunity to ask any questions that you may have.