Dr Kyriakos I. Kourousis, Senior Lecturer in Airworthiness, has 20 years of experience in the fields of aircraft maintenance, airworthiness, quality control and assurance, engineering and technical/logistics support of aircraft and aeronautical equipment, as an Aeronautical Engineer Officer (Major res.) of the Hellenic Air Force.
He was formerly the manager of the Mirage 2000 and Mirage 2000-5 airframe/systems airworthiness, quality control and assurance program, as well as the fleet fatigue monitoring/structural integrity program. He has also served as aircraft maintenance officer and quality control and assurance officer of Mirage 2000 in 114 Fighter Wing at Tanagra, Greece.
He has a broad educational experience in teaching and supervising students at RMIT University and other tertiary education aviation/engineering schools in Europe. Dr Kourousis holds the honorary position of the Associate of RMIT University, in the School of Engineering. His research expertise is in the area of metal plasticity of conventional and additively manufactured (3D printed) metals, working on modelling and characterisation of their mechanical behaviour under complex loading.
He is a registered Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the UK Engineering Council and a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society (FRAeS). Dr Kourousis is also the Chair of the RAeS Airworthiness & Maintenance Specialist Group.
Aeronautical and Defence Engineering:
- Continuing airworthiness management;
- Aircraft engineering, maintenance and technical support;
- Aviation safety;
- Defence engineering and support;
- Engineering Education and Training.
Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering:
- Material mechanical behaviour modeling;
- Cyclic plasticity constitutive modeling;
- Light metal plasticity;
- Metal Additive Manufacturing.
- Aircraft Systems Engineering
- Metal Plasticity
- Metal Additive Manufacturing
- 2017 - Adjunct Associate Professor
- 2014 - NATO Scientific Achievement Award, Team Member of AVT-174 Research Task Group on Qualification and Structural Design Guidelines for Military UAVs'
- 2014 - Associate of RMIT University
- 2014 University of Limerick, Department of Mechanical, Aeronautical and Biomedical Engineering, Ireland - Senior Lecturer and Program Director, Aircraft Maintenance and Operations
- 2012 Hellenic Air Force, Greece - Sabbatical Leave, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- 2012 RMIT University, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Australia - Lecturer and Program Director, Postgraduate Aerospace and Aviation Programs
- 2005 Hellenic Air Force Support Command, Elefsina Air Force Base, Greece - Airworthiness & QA/QC Manager of HAF Mirage 2000/-5 & Structural Integrity Manager for HAF Mirage 2000/-5 fleet
- 2004 Hellenic Air Force, 114 Combat Wing, Tanagra Air Force Base, Greece - Continuing Airworthiness & QA/QC Manager of HAF Mirage 2000 fleet (O and I Level Maintenance)
- 2002 Hellenic Air Force, Base Maintenance Squadron, 114 Fighter Wing, Greece - Head of the 332 Squadron QA/QC Office (Airworthiness Compliance Assurance) & QC Officer
- 2000 Hellenic Air Force, Base Maintenance Squadron, 114 Fighter Wing, Greece - Assistant Head Maintenance Officer, Intermediate Level Maintenance Shops (Mirage 2000, Mirage F.1),
- 2000 Hellenic Air Force (various sites), Greece - Specialisation Training (Engineering Regulations, Applied Aeronautical Engineering, Logistics Support)
- 2013 RMIT University - Graduate Certificate
- 2011 National Technical University of Athens - PhD
- 2003 National Techical University of Athens - MSc
- 2000 Hellenic Air Force Academy - BSc
- Chartered Engineer, UK Engineering Council
- Fellow, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS)
- Non-disclosable client - Research on Military Airworthiness
- Etihad Advanced Integrated Solutions LLC (UAE) - Educational Assessment of Aircraft Maintenance Training Material
- Indecon International Economic Consultants (Ireland) - Research on Skills-related Aspects of Aircraft MRO Sector in Ireland
- Air Learning Ltd (Ireland) - Research on eLearning Training in Human Factors in Aviation Maintenance
- Aircraft Technical Books Co. (USA) - Development of EASA Part 66 Training Material
- Australian Tertiary Education Quality Standard Agency (Australia) - Registered Expert and Assessor of aerospace and aviation engineering undergraduate (University/TAFE) and postgraduate programs
- Chris Wallbrink - Joint Publication - Defence Science & Technology Group, Department of Defence -Australia
- Ioannis Giannopoulos - Visiting Professor/Lecturer - Cranfield University -England
- Spyros Karamanos - Co-supervision of PhD - University of Thessaly -Greece