At UL I have acted as module leader for 15 different courses of which I had sole responsibility for the teaching and assessment of 10. In addition to the 15 courses, I have been involved in the co-teaching of a further 5 courses.
Usually my teaching load averages out at 4.5 modules a year, approximately 175 hours of classroom time, which does not include time spent on assessment, and individual student supervision and meetings.
My class sizes have ranged between very small MA groups of less than 10 students to large first-year core modules of between 120 and 150 students. My approach emphasises interaction as a core component of undergraduate education, as well as the delivery of detailed and supportive feedback.
In terms of range I specialise in the teaching of political, social and cultural history of sixteenth- and seventeenth-century Europe, with particular emphasis on Britain, France and the Spanish Monarchy.
Between 2002 and 2007, I also taught a first-year module on European history between 1715 and 1848.
Between 2001 and 2009, I was responsible for an MA module on European History for students of the MA in European Integration.
- 2020 - FRHistS
- 2011 British Academy -
External assessor for British Academy mid-career fellowship.
- 2006 Arts Humanities and Research Council Research (AHRC) of Great Britain -
Peer reviewer for the Arts Humanities and Research Council Research (AHRC) of Great Britain Leave Scheme
- 2008 Course Board for BA in English & History,
- 2007 Course Board for BA in History, Politics and Social Sciences,
- 2005 Joint BA Working Group and Course Board,
- 2004 BA in European Studies,
- 1999 Member, IHR: Institute of Historical Research.
- 1999 Member, Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland (AHGBI)
- 1999 Member, ASPHS: Association for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies
- member, ARTES: Association for Specialists in the Art History of Spain
- Member, The Renaissance Society of America
- member, The Society for Court Studies
- Fellow, Royal Historical Society
- 1999 University of Oxford - D.Phil
- 1992 University of St. Andrews - MA
- 1998 Manchester University - Post-doctoral research fellow
- Director for the UL Certificate in the History of Art & Design, an Art History evening programme for adult learners, which I coordinated between 2003 and 2012.
- Fourteen catalogue entries for paintings and engravings included in the exhibition. Published as The Sale of the Century: Artistic Relations between Spain and Great Britain, 1604-1655, ed. by Jonathan Brown and John Elliott (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2002).