Ann MacPhail joined the Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences in September 2002 and was the Head of the Department from August 2012 to August 2017. Prior to joining the department, Ann was a Research Associate at Loughborough University for over three years. She has a B.Ed (First Class Honours) Physical Education Degree from Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh and a Ph.D. from the University of Glasgow. Ann is Associate Editor for the journal Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy and a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Teaching in Physical Education. Ann is also Associate Editor Revista Pedagogica ADAL / ADAL Pedagogy Journal.
Ann's main teaching and research interests revolve around (physical education) teacher education, young people in sport, curriculum development in physical education, teaching, learning and assessment issues within school physical education, methodological issues in working with young people and ethnography. Ann is Co-Director of the Physical Education, Physical activity and Youth Sport Research Centre (PE-PAYS) Ireland at the University of Limerick (www.pepaysireland.ie).
Ann's main teaching interests revolve around physical education teacher education, young people in sport, curriculum development in physical education, teaching, learning and assessment issues within school physical education, and methodological issues in working with young people.
- 2015 - Lifetime Achievement Fellowship Award (International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education)
- 2008 Vice-President, President and Committee member, Physical Education Association of Ireland
- 1999 Member, American Educational Research Association
- 1999 Member, British Educational Research Association
- 1999 Member, Educational Studies Association of Ireland
- Member, American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) / SHAPE
- Member, Association of Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP)
- 2001 University of Glasgow - Ph.D.
- 1992 University of Edinburgh - Bachelor of Education (Honours)
- 1999 University of Limerick, Ireland - Head of Department / Associate Professor
- Loughborough University, UK - Research Associate
- University of Glasgow, Scotland - Graduate Assistant
- 1899 Technical Advisory Group of the National Coaching and Training Centre,
- 1899 National Coaching and Development Programme Working Group,
- 1899 Steering Committee Group for 8th National Forum 'Physical Activity: Common Goals, Different Roles',
- 1899 National Steering Committee for the European Year of Education through Sport,
- 1899 Management Committee Group for 8th National Forum 'Physical Activity: Common Goals, Different Roles',
- Irish Heart Foundation `Action for Life¿ Steering Committee,
- Member of National Heart Alliance,
- Member of Physical Education, Physical Activity and Youth Sport (PE-PAYS) Research Centre within University of Limerick, Ireland,