I am a Lecturer in Midwifery at the University of Limerick, Ireland. I graduated as a Midwife from the North London University and have a clinical background in both hospital and community settings in England, Ireland and Africa. Following graduation from University College Dublin with a Bachelor of Nursing Studies (Hons.) in 1999, I registered as a Tutor with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland. I have also completed an MSc in Primary Care in 2003 at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Prior to taking my position in the University of Limerick in 2008 I worked as a Midwfe Tutor at the National Maternity Hospital, Dublin and as a Lecturer in Midwifery at the Dept. of Nursing & Midwifery, University College Dublin. I am currently undertaking a sPhD (Education) at the Dept. of Education and Professional Studies, University of Limerick.
My research interests include midwifery education and practice, women's health and wellbeing, postnatal care and transcultural issues. My PhD research is an Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis of the Lived Experience of Women with Obesity (BMI ≥30kg/m²) of Maternity Care.
I am involved in the teaching and assessing of modules relating to the BSc Midwifery (Hons.) programme.
Supervision of Undergraduate Final Year Projects and MSc thesis supervision.
- Member, National Network of Midwifery Lecturers in Ireland
- Member, National Midwifery Leaders Group (HSE)
- Member, International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants (IRE)
- Teaching and Learning Committee,
- Practice Learning Environment Group ,
- Midwifery Partnership Group HSE West (Limerick, Clare, North Tipperary) & UL.,
- HSE South East Midwifery Partnership Group,
- Local Joint Working Group,
- Undergraduate Midwifery Course Board,
- Student Status Committee,
- Course Directors Administration Group,
- Women and Child Research Group,