BiographyMairead is Assistant Professor at the Department of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Education and Health Sciences, University of Limerick. She is a graduate of the University of Limerick (MSc 2014; BSc 2005), University of Galway (PGDip Clinical Education 2011) and a Registered General Nurse (St Vincent's University Hospital Dublin 1999) with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
Mairead joined the University of Limerick in 2006 and has significant experience in nursing education, particularly in clinical skills pedagogies, simulation-based education and managing simulated clinical learning environments. She is a founding member of Clinical Skills Network Ireland and a member of the HRI Health Implementation Science Cluster. Prior to UL, Mairead worked with the Health Service Executive as a Clinical Nurse Specialist, her background experience is in critical care, complex respiratory and cardiac nursing.
In 2023, Mairead received the UL Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching. She currently teaches across the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the Department. Mairead's research is grounded in nursing education and practice, as a multifaceted theme this includes person-centred care, ethics, nursing education, and simulation-based education. Most recently her work is focused on reasonable adjustments in acute healthcare for people with intellectual disability.
Research InterestsMairead's research focus is grounded in nursing education and practice. As a multifaceted theme, this includes person-centred care, ethics, simulation-based education, and most recently her work is focused on reasonable adjustments in acute healthcare for people with intellectual disability.
- 2023 University of Limerick - Assistant Professor
- 2022 University of Limerick - Clinical Skills Coordinator
- 2020 University of Limerick - SiNM Project
- 2006 University of Limerick - Clinical Skills Coordinator
- 2005 Health Service Executive - Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Health Service Executive - Critical Care Staff Nurse - University Hospital Limerick
- Health Service Executive - Staff Nurse - St Johns Hospital, Limerick
- Health Service Executive - Staff Nurse - St Vincent's Hospital, Dublin
- Health Service Executive - Student Nurse
- 2023 - UL Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2021 - Athena SWAN Bronze Award
- 2014 University of Limerick - Master of Science (MSc)
- 2011 National University of Ireland, Galway - Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences (Clinical Education)
- 2005 University of Limerick - Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- 1999 Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland, and St Vincent's University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4. - Registered General Nurse (RGN)
- 2017-2022 Athena Swan, DNM, UL,
- 2011-2023 Clinical Skills Network Ireland (National Group),
- 2016-2019 Undergraduate Course Board Midwifery, DNM, UL,
- 2010-2019 Teaching and Learning Committee, DNM, UL,
- 2010-2012 Undergraduate Marketing Committee, DNM, UL,
- 2006-2007 Clinical Skills Working Group, DNM, UL,
- Member, Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI)
- Founding Member, Clinical Skills Network Ireland (National Group)
- Member, HRI Health Implementation Science Cluster (HIST)
- 2011-2020 OCASE Examiner for the Graduate Entry Medical School. Objective Clinical and Anatomy Skills Exams (OCASE).
- 2018 OCASE Examiner for the Certificate in Nurse/Midwife Prescribing.
- 2011-2019 Coordinates/develops/designs the annual DNM summer camp aimed at secondary school students who have an interest in nursing and/or midwifery as a career choice. The camp is now in its 10th year.
- HSE Mid West Community Healthcare Infection Prevention and Control Teams - Provided online support and education sessions for community services in the Mid West during the Spring / Summer 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.