BiographyMairead is Lecturer in the Department of Nursing and Midwifery. She joined the University of Limerick in 2006 and has experience in several areas including clinical skills laboratories management, teaching and learning, and simulation-based education. Mairead is a Registered General Nurse and prior to UL worked with the Health Service Executive as Staff Nurse and Clinical Nurse Specialist in critical care and cardiac specialties. Mairead is passionate about the role of simulation-based education and technology-enhanced learning and recently worked on a nationally funded simulation initiative within the department. In 2023, Mairead received a faculty teaching excellence award in pedagogic support. Research interests include clinical skills pedagogy, simulation-based education, technology enhanced learning, and nursing care.
Research InterestsResearch Interests: Clinical Skills Pedagogy; Simulation-Based Education; Technology Enhanced Learning; Nursing Care.
- 2023 University of Limerick - Lecturer
- 2022 University of Limerick - Clinical Skills Coordinator
- 2020 University of Limerick - SiNM Project
- 2006 University of Limerick - Clinical Skills Coordinator
- Health Service Executive - Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Health Service Executive - Critical Care Staff Nurse - University Hospital Limerick
- Health Service Executive - Staff Nurse - St Johns Hospital, Limerick
- Health Service Executive - Staff Nurse - St Vincent's Hospital, Dublin
- Health Service Executive - Student Nurse
- 2014 University of Limerick - Master of Science (MSc)
- 2011 National University of Ireland, Galway - Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences (Clinical Education)
- 2005 University of Limerick - Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- 1999 Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland, and St Vincent's University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4. - Registered General Nurse (RGN)
- 2017-2020 Athena Swan, DNM, UL,
- 2011-2020 Clinical Skills Network Ireland (National Group),
- 2016-2019 Undergraduate Course Board Midwifery, DNM, UL,
- 2010-2019 Teaching and Learning Committee, DNM, UL,
- 2010-2012 Undergraduate Marketing Committee, DNM, UL,
- 2006-2007 Clinical Skills Working Group, DNM, UL,
- Member, Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI)
- Founding Member, Clinical Skills Network Ireland (National Group)
- 2011-2020 OCASE Examiner for the Graduate Entry Medical School. Objective Clinical and Anatomy Skills Exams (OCASE).
- 2018 OCASE Examiner for the Certificate in Nurse/Midwife Prescribing.
- 2011-2019 Coordinates/develops/designs the annual DNM summer camp aimed at secondary school students who have an interest in nursing and/or midwifery as a career choice. The camp is now in its 10th year.
- HSE Mid West Community Healthcare Infection Prevention and Control Teams - Provided online support and education sessions for community services in the Mid West during the Spring / Summer 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.