Joachim Fischer studied in Mainz, Glasgow, Bonn and Trinity College Dublin. He holds the Jean Monnet Chair in European Cultural Studies and is Director of the Centre for European Studies. He is also Senior Lecturer in German and Deputy Director of the Centre for Irish-German Studies.
The history of Irish-German relations; cultural dimensions of European integration; the Irish image of Germany; national images and stereotypes; Shannon Scheme; travel literature; Ernst Toller; utopian studies; film studies; Fritz Lang.
- 2013 Germany group, Institute for International and European Affairs, Dublin,
- 2006 Executive Committee, International Association for the Study of Irish Literature,
- 2009 - Distinguished Lecturer Award, Leuphana University Lüneburg, Germany
- 2009 - Research Fellow, Institute for European History, Mainz
- 2008 - IRCHSS Senior Fellowship
- 1999 - DAAD Scholarship for Senior Academics
- 1997 - Third Level Exchange Programme (Professorenaustausch)
- 1996 Trinity College - PhD
- 1983 Universität Mainz - MA
- 1990 University of Limerick - Assistant Lecturer, Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in German
- 1984 Dept. of German, University College Cork - DAAD Lektor and Assistant Lecturer
- 1983 Dept. of Comparative Philology, University of Mainz, Germany - Part-time Lecturer in Celtic Philology
- Member, Association for Third Level Teachers of German in Ireland
- Member, Utopian Studies Society
- member, Conference of University Teachers of German of Great Britain and Ireland (CUTG)
German culture in Denis Johnston's (1901-1984) Life and Work: A Synopsis.
S. Egger (ed.) Cultural/Literary Translators: Selected Irish-German Biographies II.
A Good Irish German: In Praise of Hugo Hamilton's Mother
Representing the 'Good German' in Literature and Culture after 1945: Altruism and Moral Ambiguity.
Cultural Policy in the European Union, German-Irish Relations and the Goethe-Institut Irland's First Fifty Years: An Introduction.
Fischer J; Stehle R
Contemporary German-Irish Cultural Relations in a European Perspective: Exploring Issues in Cultural Policy and Practice.
Irish-German Biographies and Irish-German Studies
Fischer J; Holfter, G
Creative Encounters: Selected Irish-German Biographies.
Intercultural Connection within German and Irish Children's Literature: An Introduction.
Fischer J; Tebbutt, S
Intercultural Aspects in German and Irish Children's Literature
Intercultural aspects in German and Irish Children's Literature