Gabriel is a Senior Research Fellow working with the Circuits & Systems Research Centre and the Optical Fibre Sensor Research Centre (www.ofsrc.ul.ie). He completed his Ph.D., on the Formal Verification of the TTCAN protocol (ISO11898-4), in 2002. Gabriel has received a number of honours including: the IEE, Sir Frederic Calland Williams Premium: Knowledge Services Award; a Highly Commended Award from Emerald Publishing; the Institute of Engineers of Ireland Young Engineer of the Year Award; the Institute of Engineers of Ireland, Thomond region Chairman's Medal Award and an Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology (IRCSET) Postdoctoral Fellowship Award. Gabriel has successfully completed several Enterprise Ireland (EI) commercialisation focused awards, and Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) fundamental research awards. He is the PI on an SFI Career Development Award (CDA) which is researching and developing novel sensor technologies based on optical fibres.
- Grad. Dip. Management, University of Limerick, 2005.
- Ph.D. Research Thesis, University of Limerick, 2002.
- M.Eng. Research Thesis, University of Limerick, 2000.
- B.Eng. (1st Hons.), Electronic Engineering, University of Limerick, 1995.
Professional Membership /Roles (current and past) include:
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (MIEEE)
- Founding member of the European Space Agency (ESA) Controller Area Network (CAN) in Space Work Group
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technologies, IEE Computer and Control Engineering Journal and the International Journal of Vehicle Design
- ISO Technical Committee 22, Sub Committee 3, Work Group 1 - Task Force 6
- EU Framework program expert evaluator for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in Transportation. Proposal reviewer and Project evaluator for FP6, FP7 and H2020
- Judge for the IEE Electronics Awards in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Formula Student 2004, 2005 and 2006 competitions
- Group leader of the Automotive Systems Research Group
- Member of the Irish Space Industry Skillsnet Steering committee
- Founder and Director of the UL spinout company: PolyPico Technologies Ltd. (www.polypico.com)
- An Ultra-high Resolution Temperature Sensor, Poeggel, S., Duraibabu, D., Leen. G., Dooly, G., and Lewis, L. Filed 2015
- A Fibre Optic Multi Sensor, Reinsch, T., Bremer, K., Leen, G., Lewis, and Lochmann, S. Filed 2012
- An Optical Method to Non-Invasively Determine Cardiac Output, Timm, U., Lewis, E., Leen. G., Ewald H., Kraitl, J., Koball, S., Hinz., M., Andruschenko, S. and McGrath, D. Filed September 2011.
- Non-invasive Measurement of Blood Haemoglobin: Timm, U., Lewis, E., Leen. G., Ewald H., Kraitl, J. and McGrath, D. Filed US, EU and Irish patent application September 2010.
- A method for Dispensing Nano and Pico Litre Volumes of Biomaterial: Bryce, B. and Leen. G. Filed US, EU and Irish patent application September 2010.
- An Optical Fibre Pressure Sensor: Bremer, K., Leen, G., Lewis, E., Moss, B., Lochmann, S., Mueller, I. (Filed US and Irish patents Jan 2010)
- A Valve Niven A, Leen, J. and Leen G. Filed July 2008. (Refilled in 2009).
- Pressure Sensing: Niven A, Leen, J. and Leen G. Filed July 2008. (Refilled in 2009).
- Engines and Exhaust Systems: Niven A, Leen, J. and Leen G. Filed September 2008. (Refilled in 2009).
- A Pressure Wave Reservoir: Niven, A, Leen, J. and Leen, G. Filed December 2008. (Refilled in 2009).
- A Network Gateway Shaheen S., Heffernan D. and Leen G., No: 2004/0395 Date: 6/2004
- A Method and a Communication System for Transmitting Data between a Plurality of Nodes in a Data Communication System: Leen G. & Heffernan D. No. S2002/0935. Date: 3/12/03
- A Device to Determine the Thermal Status of an Internal Combustion Engine: Leen G. & Loughrain S. No. S65345. Priority date 28/2/1992.
Research InterestsCurrent and past research interests include:
- Automotive Technologies, Hardware, Software and Systems
- Distributed Embedded Control Networks
- Formal Verification / Formal Methods
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- On-board Spacecraft Control Systems
- Micro-drop generation and fluid dispensing
- Optical fibre sensors for pressure and temperature
- Medical applications of sensor technology
- Non-invasive measurement of blood haemoglobin
- Efficiency of internal combustion engines
- 2005 - Lindau Meeting of Nobel Laurets
- 2003 - EMBARK Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
- 2002 - IEE F.C. Williams Premium Award 2002
- 2002 - Highly Commended Award
- 1995 - University Presidential Presentation
- 1995 - Young Engineer of the Year Award
- 1995 - Chairman's Medal Award
- 2005 University of Limerick - Graduate Diploma
- 2002 University of Limerick - Doctor of Philosophy
- 2000 University of Limerick - Master of Engineering
- 1995 University of Limerick - B.Eng.
- 2003 S2002/0935 - A method and a communication system for transmitting data between a plurality of nodes in a data communication system
- 1999 84296 - A network gateway
- 1992 S65345 - A device to determine the thermal status of an internal combustion engine?
- 2002 European Space Agency ¿ ¿Controller Area Network in Space¿ Working Group,
- 1899 ISO TC22/SC3/WG1/TF6,
- 1995 Leopold KOSTAL, DORTMUND, GERMANY - RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER