BiographyYvonne Cleary is Head of the School of English, Irish, and Communication. She teaches and coordinates modules in technical communication, new media, and e-learning. From 2011 to 2019, she was Course Director for the MA in Technical Communication and E-Learning. During this time, she wrote and submitted two winning applications for the programme for the 2018 and 2019 Grad Ireland Postgraduate Course of the Year (Arts and Humanities) awards.
Her research interests include professional issues in technical communication, technical communication pedagogy, virtual teams, and international technical communication. Her PhD explored Irish technical writers' perceptions of their work and community of practice. She has presented her work at conferences in Europe and the United States and has published in leading journals in the technical communication field, including Technical Communication, Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, and College Composition and Communication. She is a 2014 recipient of the CCCC Technical and Scientific Communication Award for Best Article on Pedagogy or Curriculum in Technical or Scientific Communication.
Yvonne was a partner in an EU-funded project, TecCOMFrame, from 2015 to 2018. She is a member of the tekom Europe Advisory Board for Professional Development and Training, and is leading the International University Network in Technical Communication project for tekom Europe. She has served on several conference committees and teaching and research award committees.
Research InterestsYvonne's research interests include:
- The technical communication profession and community of practice.
- Technical communication in Ireland.
- Virtual teams.
- Health communication.
- Technical communication pedagogy.
- International technical communication.
- 2021 Technical Communication editorial board,
- 2020 tekom Europe International University Network,
- 2019 STC Rainey Research Award Committee,
- 2018 European Academic Colloquium on Technical Communication,
- 2017 IEEE ProComm 2017 Conference Committee,
- 2017 tekom Europe Professional Development and Training Advisory Board,
- 2017 IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication Editorial Board of Permanent Reviewers,
- 2016 School of English, Irish, and Communication Research and Postgraduate Committee,
- 2016 AHSS Faculty Research Board,
- 2011 MA in Technical Communication and E-Learning Course Board,
- 2014 - Best Article on Pedagogy or Curriculum in Technical or Scientific Communication
- Member, Society for Technical Communication
- Member, IEEE Professional Communication Society
- Member, tekom Europe
- - External Examiner - University of Portsmouth -England
- - Funding Award - Polytechnic University of Bucharest -Romania
- - Funding Award - Aarhus University -Denmark
- - Outgoing Visitor - European Association for Technical Communication -Germany
- - Funding Award - European Association for Technical Communication -Germany
- - Funding Award - Université Paris Diderot - Paris 7 -France
- - Funding Award - KU Leuven -Belgium
- - Funding Award - University of Szczecin -Poland
- - Funding Award - Karlshochschule International University -Germany
- - Funding Award - University of Twente -Netherlands
- Madelyn Flammia - Joint Publication - University of Central Florida -USA
- Patricia Minacori - Joint Publication - Université Paris Diderot - Paris 7 -France