Yvonne Cleary is Head of Technical Communication and Instructional Design, in the School of English, Irish, and Communication. She teaches on undergraduate and postgraduate modules in technical communication, new media, and e-learning. From 2011 to 2019, she was Course Director for the MA in Technical Communication and E-Learning. During this time, she wrote and submitted two winning applications for the programme for the 2018 and 2019 Grad Ireland Postgraduate Course of the Year (Arts and Humanities) awards.
Her research interests include professional issues in technical communication, technical communication pedagogy, virtual teams, and international technical communication. Her PhD explored Irish technical writers' perceptions of their work and community of practice. She has presented her work at conferences in Europe and the United States and has published in leading journals in the technical communication field, including Technical Communication, Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, and College Composition and Communication. She is a 2014 recipient of the CCCC Technical and Scientific Communication Award for Best Article on Pedagogy or Curriculum in Technical or Scientific Communication. She was a partner in an EU-funded project, TecCOMFrame, from 2015 to 2018. She is a member of the tekom Europe Advisory Board for Professional Development and Training, and is leading the International University Network project for tekom Europe. She has served on several international committees for technical communication teaching and research awards.
Yvonne's research interests include:
- The technical communication profession and community of practice.
- Technical communication in Ireland.
- Virtual teams.
- Health communication.
- Technical communication pedagogy.
- International technical communication.
Yvonne's teaching interests are in the following areas:
- Technical communication.
- Information design
- Virtual teams
- Online education
- Writing for new media
- Using structured authoring in technical communication
She maintains a YouTube channel which houses learning objects she developed for students on the MA in Technical Communication and E-Learning. This channel has 138 subscribers and the learning objects have over 54,000 views.
She was shortlisted for the Shannon Consortium Teaching Excellence Award in 2015 and in 2017.
- 2020 tekom Europe International University Network,
- 2019 STC Rainey Research Award Committee,
- 2018 European Academic Colloquium on Technical Communication,
- 2017 IEEE ProComm 2017 Conference Committee,
- 2017 tekom Europe Professional Development and Training Advisory Board,
- 2017 IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication Editorial Board of Permanent Reviewers,
- 2016 School of English, Irish, and Communication Research and Postgraduate Committee,
- 2016 AHSS Faculty Research Board,
- 2011 MA in Technical Communication and E-Learning Course Board,
- 2014 - Best Article on Pedagogy or Curriculum in Technical or Scientific Communication
- Member, Society for Technical Communication
- Member, IEEE Professional Communication Society
- Member, tekom Europe
- - External Examiner - University of Portsmouth -England
- - Funding Award - Polytechnic University of Bucharest -Romania
- - Funding Award - Aarhus University -Denmark
- - Outgoing Visitor - European Association for Technical Communication -Germany
- - Funding Award - European Association for Technical Communication -Germany
- - Funding Award - Université Paris Diderot - Paris 7 -France
- - Funding Award - KU Leuven -Belgium
- - Funding Award - University of Szczecin -Poland
- - Funding Award - Karlshochschule International University -Germany
- - Funding Award - University of Twente -Netherlands
- Madelyn Flammia - Joint Publication - University of Central Florida -USA
- Patricia Minacori - Joint Publication - Université Paris Diderot - Paris 7 -France
Virtual Teams in Higher Education: A Handbook for Students and Teachers
Flammia, M., Cleary, Y. and Slattery, D. M.
Technical Communication and Technical Documentation
Cleary, Y. and Slattery, D. M.
Language for Special Purposes: An International Handbook
IEEE Professional Communication Conference (ProComm 2015)
Cleary, Y., Flammia, M., Minacori, P., and Slattery, D. M.
Training Technical Communication Students to Work with Translators
Cleary, Yvonne and Slattery, Darina M.
Peer Reviewed Journal
Developing Strategies for Success in a Cross-Disciplinary Global Virtual Team Project: Collaboration Among Student Writers and Translators
Cleary Y., Slattery D., Flammia M., and Minacori P.
Journal of Technical Writing and Communication DOI: 10.1177/0047281618775908
Parallel online, on-campus, and blended programme delivery: Challenges and strategies
Cleary Y., Slattery D.M., and Marcus-Quinn A.
International Journal On E-Learning: Corporate, Government, Healthcare, And Higher Education
University of Limerick's MA in Technical Communication and E-Learning
Slattery, D. M. and Cleary, Y.
Teaching Workplace Skills to Technical Communicators
Slattery, D.M. and Cleary, Y.
Communication and Language at Work
Leadership Roles, Socioemotional Communication Strategies, and Technology Use of Irish and US Students in Virtual Teams
Flammia, M., Cleary, Y. and Slattery, D.M.
Ieee Transactions On Professional Communication DOI: 10.1109/TPC.2010.2046088