BiographyEducation: BSc (Eng) Witwatersrand; MSc Cranfield; PhD Cranfield Experience: 10 years aerospace industry; 25 years university lecturer (aeronautical engineering).
Dr Trevor Young (PhD, MSc, BSc) is an Associate Professor in Aeronautical Engineering and former Head of the Department at UL. He has been involved in aviation research and development (R&D) activities throughout his thirty years career in industry and academia. He has led more than 40 research projects and workpackages. Since joining UL, he has been the recipient of more than 30 research grants, with a value to UL exceeding 15 million (he was Principal Investigator for research grants exceeding 7 million). Funding has been received from the European Commission (EC), the Irish State and industrySince 2000, he has published, as author or co-author, more than 100 technical papers (incl. 52 peer reviewed journal papers), ten book chapters (four in encyclopaedia/handbook) and edited one book on Innovation in Aeronautics (Woodhead Press, 2012). He is the author of two books: Performance of the Jet Transport Airplane: Performance Analysis Methods, Flight Operations, and Regulations (Wiley, 2018) and Technical Writing A-Z: A Commonsense Guide to Engineering Reports and Theses (ASME Press, 2005). Professor Young is a member of the Scientific Committee of the EC's Clean Sky 2 research programme.
- 2014 Member / Vice chairperson, Clean Sky Scientific Committee
- 1999 Senior Member, AIAA
- 1999 Former member, Royal Aeronautical Society
- 2002 College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University - PhD
- 1988 College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University - MSc
- 1983 University of the Witwatersrand - BSc
- 1993 University of Limerick - Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor
- 1984 Industrial employment - Design Engineer & Technical Manager
- Private Pilot's Licence (PPL). Over 500 hours as pilot-in-command / pilot-in-training.