Senior Lecturer (Biomechanics) University of Limerick, Limerick
Lecture to undergraduate students from Sport & Exercise Sciences, Physiotherapy, Biomedical Engineering on a variety of topics based around biomechanics. Modules delivered include SS4304, SS4305, SS4023, SS4408, SS4407, SS4507, SS4508, SS4308, SS4318
- Successfully connect my research profile with undergraduate students resulting in effective learning and engagement from the students in the wider context of sports biomechanics.
- Effectively supervise numerous final year project students on the Sport and Exercise Sciences BSc.
- Engaged with the UL module evaluation programme (Centre for Teaching and Learning) for all modules I coordinate and achieve above average ratings in all elements
- Implementation of novel teaching methodologies (ICT & others) to all years with special focus on 1st year students
- Actively seek research funding based around teaching methodologies and improvement of same
- Engagement with the UL Centre for Teaching & learning to advance my skill base as an educator
- Member of the development team for the new MSc Human/Sports Performance Start Jan 2012
- Active Contributor PESS Research Forum, PESS Strategic Plan, PESS Dept Review, & all other PESS Fora.
- International Student Coordinator PESS Department (UL), September 2002 September 2006
Assistant Dean Academic Affairs, Education & Health Sciences, University of Limerick, Limerick (2010 - 2016)
- As an effective member of the Faculty Management Team, I provide strong academic leadership and overall management direction for the Faculty of Education & Health Sciences within the context of the University and Faculty strategic plans. I take lead responsibility for the development and successful delivery of cross-faculty initiatives.
- I have successfully assisted the Executive Dean of EHS in the strategic management of the faculty by providing leadership in the development and effective implementation of policies, procedures, practices and targets in relation to academic affairs and by assuming appropriate cross-faculty management responsibilities.
- I have successfully facilitated and supported programme delivery within EHS within guidelines established by statutory bodies (i.e. Governing Authority and Academic Council) and other bodies with delegated authority, such as Executive Committee, Management Council and other executive decision-making bodies within the University.
- I am an active contributor to University committees and undertake representative roles on behalf of the Faculty within and outside the University. I also deputise, as required, for the Executive Dean
- During my tenure as Assistant Dean Academic Affairs (EHS) I take a strong interest in Faculty policies in an attempt to promote a level of fairness and transparency within EHS and to align the Faculty with the aims and objectives outlined in Pioneering & Connected.
- Co-founder of the Biomechanics Research Unit (BRU) within UL - BRU has an excellent track record in research with 1.14 million of funding, 29 collaborators, 56 Journal Papers, 127 Conference Papers, 1 book, 13 current postgraduate students, 26 graduates at PG level, and 2125 delegate days of conferences.
- Expertise in the area of movement variability in sport; specifically the technology and algorithms underpinning the measurement and application of results to the athlete/patient
- Other areas of research include biofeedback and its uses in sport, wireless technology and communications in sport and medicine, data-logging in sport, and more generally the application of engineering to sport and medicine
- 2012 University of Ulster - External Examiner - Sport and Exercise Sciences BSc
- 2002 University of Limerick - Lecturer
- 1997 Grampian Healthcare, ARI, Aberdeen - Biomedical Engineer
- 1997 University fo Limerick - Juniour Lecturer
- 2010 Elected Board Member - International Society of Biomechanics in Sport,
- 2010 International Society of Biomechanics in Sports Nominations Committee 2010,
- 2002 Physical Education Video Project Steering Committee (Dept of Educ.),
- 2009 Member of the Board of Directors, International Society of Biomechanics in Sport
- 2002 Member, International Society of Sports Engineering
- 2000 Member, European College of Sport Sciences
- 1991 Member, Institute of Physics
- 2002 University of Limerick - Ph.D.
- 1997 University of Aberdeen - M.Sc.
- 1995 The Robert Gordon University - B.Sc.