Prior to her appointment, she worked as a Science Project Officer in EPI-STEM, the National Centre for STEM Education and CASTeL (Centre for the Advancement of Science and Mathematics Teaching Learning) in Dublin City University. She completed a Succeed and Lead Fellowship in Science Education at the University of Limerick. Her research interests are in science education with a special focus on physics teacher education, inclusive STEM education, and teaching and learning in higher education.
AGlobal Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical, Computing, and NaturalSciences: How to Measure It, How to Reduce It?, funded by theInternational Council for Science (ICSU) (300,000 euro).Responsible for Work Package 3, developing a database of good practicesthat promote gender diversity in mathematics and science at primary,secondary and tertiary education under the guidance of Prof Merrilyn Goos.
WiSTEM2DProgram funded by Johnsons and Johnson. The project aims to develop high impact strategies for increasing thenumber of women enrolling in and graduating from STEM2D programs, degrees andgraduate level research. Research analysis was conducted under thesupervision of the principal investigator/s (Prof Merrilyn Goos and Dr OliverMcGarr) to determine key areas that influence the retention of women in STEM.
STePinto Science Project: Engaging Students, Teachers and Parents in Debates,funded by Science Foundation Ireland (15,000) in partnership of Junior Cyclefor Teachers (JCT).The STeP into Science project aimed to facilitate theteaching and learning of the Irish lower second-level curricular objectives onnature of science, through engaging teachers, students, and guardians inschool debate events on socio-scientific issues.
Analysingstudent written solutions to investigate if problem-solving processes areevident throughout, research paper coauthored with EilishMcLoughlin and Odilla Finlayson (Dublin City University).
2018-SE4006Advanced Science PedagogyUniversityof Limerick
2017-TP4014 School Placement 1University of Limerick
2017-TP4017 School Placement 2University of Limerick
2016-2016EN4033Planning for LearningUniversityof Limerick
2009-2013 Introductory Physics Concepts Limerick Institute of Technology
2009-2013IntroductoryPhysics ConceptsLimerickInstitute of Technology LaboratoryTeacher
2018SpecialistModule: STEM EducationUniversityof Limerick
2016-2016 EN6171Planning for School PlacementUniversityof Limerick
- 2018 - Dean's Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2018 - Travel Bursary
- 2009 - PhD Funding
- 2018 University of Limerick - Science Education Project Officer
- 2016 Hibernia College - Academic Supervisor
- 2015 Dublin City University - Postdoctoral Researcher (Science Education)
- 2014 Limerick Institute of Technology - Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- 2009 University of Limerick - Bachelor of Science, BSc (Hons)
- Participated in nationwide physics outreach events with Physics Busking (SFI funded).
- Represented the Irish team as a physics mentor at the 2015 European Union Science Olympiad (EUSO) in Austria.
- Member, International History, Philosophy, and Science Teaching Group
- Member, Irish Science Teachers Association
- Member, Institute of Physics
- Conference Abstract and Manuscript Reviewer: 2016 Limerick Symposium on Nature of Science in Science Education: Recent Debates and Future Directs
- Conference Abstract and Manuscript Reviewer: 12th Conference of the European Science Education Research Association (ESERA)
- Conference Abstract and Manuscript Reviewer: 2017 GIREP-ICPE-EPEC jointly organised by Conference of International Research Group on Physics Teaching (GIREP), European Physical Society - Physics Education Division (EPS PED) and International Conference on Physics Education (ICPE) of the Commission C14 of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP).
- Improving Gender Balance in Ireland Steering Group ,
- Institute of Physics Ireland Education Group,
Some initiatives for reducing the gender gap in science: a database of good practices
Kelly, R.; Goos, M.
A Global Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical, Computing, and Natural Sciences: How to Measure It, How to Reduce It?
Implementing an Interdisciplinary Science Module
McLoughlin, E., Finlayson, O., Kelly, R.
Science Education Research: Engaging Learners for a Sustainable Future
Scholarship of Teaching & Learning: Bridging Boundaries through the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
Kelly, R., Finlayson, O., & McLoughlin, E.
STeP into Science Project: Engaging Students, Teachers and Parents in Debates
Kelly, R., Erduran, S., Walshe, G., & Guilfoyle, L
Chemistry in Action
Science Scope (Volume V)
Kelly, R. et al
Science Scope (Volume IV)
Kelly, R. et al
Science Scope (Volume III)
Kelly, R. et al.
Peer Reviewed Journal
An investigation of university students and professionals' Professional STEM Identity Status
Kelly, R., McGarr, O., Leahy, K., & Goos, M.
Journal Of Science Education And Technology
STEM and gender at university: focusing on Irish undergraduate female students' perceptions
Kelly, R., McGarr, O., Lehane, L. and Erduran, S.
Journal Of Applied Research In Higher Education DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/JARHE-07-2018-0127
Understanding aims and values of science: developments in the Junior Cycle Specifications on nature of science and pre-service science teachers' views in Ireland
Kelly, R., Erduran, S.
Irish Educational Studies
Analysing student written solutions to investigate if problem-solving processes are evident throughout
Kelly, R., McLoughlin, E., Finlayson, OE
International Journal Of Science Education DOI: 10.1080/09500693.2016.1214766