Registered General Nurse (RGN), Connolly Memorial Hospital, Dublin
Registered Nurse in Intellectual Disability (RNID), St Vincent's Centre, Lisnagry
Qualified Instructor in Manual Handling and Client Lifting Techniques
Currently, I am a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Nursing & Midwifery. In January 2012, I was appointed as Head of the Department of Nursing and Midwifery. I led a department of 36 staff 26 of which are academic posts. My tenure was completed in June 2017.
Within my nursing career I have been involved in both clinical nursing practice and nursing management. My teaching career commenced in 1992, where I taught in the School Of Nursing in St Vincents, Lisnagry. In 2000, I became a faculty member of the Department of Nursing and Midwifery in the University of Limerick. I have been a Course Director for the Higher Diploma in Midwifery, the BNS and the BSc (Intellectual Disability) programmes from 2000 until 2006.
Nominated four times for an excellence in teaching award, in the University of Limerick.
Awarded the Dr Ledwith Gold medal for the highest academic achievements in nursing registration exams.
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome/ toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Psychological care of patients
- Self-Esteem and Coping Strategies
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health
I have been nominated and shortlisted on four occasions for an excellence in teaching award in the University of Limerick. I have an average teacher effectiveness score of 4.9/5. I have consistently scored well above average on all teaching and learning evaluations.
- 2012 University of Limerick - Head of Department
- 2000 University of Limerick - Lecturer/ Course Director
- 1992 Daughterrs of Charity - Nurse Tutor
- 1991 Daughters of Charity - Clinical Nurse Manager
- 1990 Eastern Health Board - Staff Nurse
- 1989 Eastern Health Board - Student Nurse (General)
- 1984 Daughters of Charity - Staff Nurse
- 1981 Daughters of Charity - Student Nurse (Intellectual Disability)
- 2011 Mary Immaculate College - PhD
- 1999 University of Limerick - M.A.
- 1996 University College Cork - BSc (Nursing)
- 1995 University College Cork - Diploma in Professional Studies
- 1993 University College Cork - Certificate
- 1984 - Dr Ledwith Gold Medal
- Chair, IUA (Heads of Nursing and Midwifery Departments)
- Member, Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland
- Dundalk Institiute of Technology -
From 2005 to 2008 I was an External Examiner in Dundalk Institute of Technology for
taught postgraduate nursing programmes.
In September 2015, I was reappointed as an external examiner in Dundalk Institute of Technology for the BSc Nursing (Intellectual Disability).