Miryam is currently working within the National Marine Biodiscovery Laboratory in UL. She holds her BSc degrees in Biology and Food Science from Universidad Complutense de Madrid and a PhD working on Functional Foods from Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. Miryam spent 5 years as a Post-doc in different Food Science Research Institutes of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). In 2015, she moved to Ireland to work for the Food for Health Ireland (FHI) programme in relation with Healthy Ageing and Performance nutrition and for the Dairy Processing Technology Centre (DPTC). She conducts research in relation with seaweed proteins and peptides. She has published 31 articles, supervised a MSc and a PhD students and participated in more than 30 international conferences.
Miryam's main research interests are food ingredients (peptides and polyphenols) with bioactive properties. She is particularly interested in understanding the relationship between food and health. She is currently working within the Irish National Marine Biodiscovery Laboratory at the University of Limerick. She conducts research on the characterisation of seaweed proteins and derived peptides and evaluates their bioactivity and efficacy of novel food products.
Food Science, Nutrition and Gastronomy
- 2014 Instituto de la Grasa (IG, CSIC, Spain, www.ig.csic.es) - Post-Doctoral Research Assistant
- 2011 Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnologia de Alimentos y Nutricion (ICTAN, CSIC, Spain, www.ictan.csic.es) - JAEdoc Post-Doctoral Researcher
- 2010 Instituto de Investigacion en Ciencias de la Alimentacion (CIAL, UAM-CSIC, Spain, www.cial.uam-csic.es) - Instituto Danone Post-doctoral Fellow
- 2007 Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales (IFI, CSIC, www.ifi.csic.es) - FPI Pre-doctoral Fellow
- 2005 Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales (IFI, CSIC, www.ifi.csic.es) - Pre-doctoral Scholarship
- 2011 WO2013004873-A1 - Product that comes from coffee husks useful as antioxidant and/or a natural preservative for preventing physiological aging processes, comprises coffee husk powder, or coffee husk extract
- 2010 - Recognition of the most cited articles in the period 2008-2010
- 2010 - Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Nutrition
- 2009 Universidad Autonoma de Madrid - Doctor of Science
- 2007 Universidad Autonoma de Madrid - Masters by research
- 2004 Universidad Complutense de Madrid - Bachelors Honours Degree.
- 2002 Universidad Complutense de Madrid - Bachelors Honours Degree.
- Participation and Collaboration carried out experimental demonstrations and science divulgation in the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) "Week of Science" (http://www.semanadelaciencia.csic.es/) and Opern doors days for general public and Secondary Schools (2005-2010)
- Collaboration in the newsletter editorial board of the project CONSOLIDER-INGENIO: New Functional Food Ingredients for Health Improving FUN-C-FOOD 25506 (http://www.alimentosfuncionales.org/eng/)
Peer Reviewed Journal
Evaluation of the antioxidant capacity of a milk protein matrix in vitro and in vivo in women aged 50-70 years
Power-Grant, O,McCormack, WG,De Cap, MR,Amigo-Benavent, M,Fitzgerald, RJ,Jakeman, P
International Journal Of Food Sciences And Nutrition DOI: 10.3109/09637486.2016.1153607