BiographyDr. Michael P. O'Brien is a lecturer in Information Management in the Department of Management & Marketing at the Kemmy Business School, University of Limerick. He teaches on undergraduate and postgraduate modules in the area of Information and Knowledge Management. Michael is Course Director for the MA in Business Management programme. He holds a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Limerick and both an honours BSc degree in Information Systems and an MSc degree in Computer Science (by research & thesis). His research interests include inter alia, data analytics, cognitive and educational psychology, software comprehension strategies, empirical studies of programmers and software evolution. His award-winning research has been published at international conferences, workshops & seminars in this domain. Michael, a past winner of the prestigious 'AGB Dwyer Memorial Award for Excellence in Education' is a Member of the Irish Learning Technology Association, the Psychology of Programming Interest Group and the Computer Science Education Research Network.
Research Interests* Data Analytics
* Cognitive and Educational Psychology
* Software Evolution
* Software Comprehension Strategies
* Empirical Studies of Programmers
* Technical Communication
* Instructional Design
* Learning Analytics (Ongoing since 2016): Received seed funding in 2017 from the Kemmy Business School to examine Sakai engagement analytics with a view to detecting at-risk students (collaborators: Dr. John Walsh & Dr. Darina Slattery).
* Flipped Classrooms (2017-Present): Collaborating on a project to explore the benefits of the flipped classroom for improving the learning experiences of international students. This project also received seed funding from the Kemmy Business School (collaborators: Dr. John Walsh & Dr. Darina Slattery).
- MA in International Entrepreneurship Management Course Board,
- MA in Business Management Course Board,
- KBS Postgraduate Forum,
- The Student Journey & Student Engagement working group,
- Member, Institution of Analysts & Programmers
- Member, Irish Learning Technology Association
- Member, Psychology of Programming Interest Group
- Fellow, Irish Guild of Organists & Choristers
- Member, Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Dr. Michael P. O'Brien is President and Co-founder of Limerick Choral Festival. Limerick Choral Festival (in association with the Irish World Academy at the University of Limerick) aims to promote the development of choral music with special emphasis on the realm of sacred music in the city, wider region and throughout the country. The event takes places annually over the first weekend of March attracting over 50 choirs to the city.
- Prof. Vaclav Rajlich - Wayne State University -USA