My research focuses on discourses of memory, representation and transitional politics in the Hispanic World (with special emphasis on contemporary Spain). My current research project is centred on two main aspects: demarcation and re-inscription of public spaces (sites of memory), and gendered discourses of memory and contestation of traditional war paradigms.
Memory politics and representation in contemporary Spain.
Women's cultural representation and counter-memory dynamics in Spain and Latin America (Southern Cone).
Spanish language and literature, Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature.
SP4003 Socio-Political ISsues in the Contemporary Hispanic World
SP4628 Women's Narratives of Resistance
CU6031 Cultural Constructions of the Past
- 2010 - Women's Memory as a Path toward Justice and Peace in Transitioning Democracies
- 2008 - IRCHSS Research Fellowship
- 2007 - Meridiana Award, Regional Government of Andalusia, Spain
- 2004 - Experts Exchange of the Department of Education
- 2005 *, International Association of Hispanists
- 2003 *, Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies (ACIS)
- 1999 *, Women in Spanish and Portuguese Studies (WISPS)
- 1999 *, Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland (AHGBI)
- 1998 College of Education, University of Limerick. - Interpreter
- 1995 University of Limerick. - Postgraduate tutor
- 1994 South-Eastern Education and Library Board N.I. - Spanish Language Assistant
- Cátedra Memoria Historica del Siglo XX, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain,
Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies (ACIS) Annual Conference
Atkinson, D., Ramblado, C.