BiographyI am a lecturer in industrial mathematics with MACSI in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics in the University of Limerick. My research interests lie in the application of mathematical techniques and logic to challenging every day and industrial problems. I have completed a BSc in Mathematical Sciences in University College Cork (UCC) followed by an MSc in Mathematical Modelling in the University of Limerick (UL). I also completed my PhD in MACSI in UL. My skill as a problem solver is based on a strong academic career giving me a wide knowledge of mathematical techniques. These skills have been honed during a variety of industrial projects and problem-solving workshops, equipping me to translate complex problems into mathematical models for in depth analysis. During my PhD I worked on projects with two industrial collaborators. My work with Philips Research (Eindhoven), involved modelling of flow and extraction of coffee from coffee beds. I also worked with Johnson & Johnson company Vistakon (Limerick), on modelling of the contact lens hydration section of their contact lens production line.
Following my PhD, I worked as a postdoctoral research associate on the Momentum spokes project in the SSPC (Synthesis and Solid State Pharmaceutical Centre), on an interdisciplinary project with Johnson & Johnson company Janssen. The project considered the application of mathematical modelling techniques and targeted experiments to facilitate the emerging trend towards continuous manufacturing of tablets in the pharmaceutical industry. More recently before taking up my current role, I completed a one-year postdoctoral position with MACSI/SSPC on mathematical modelling of drug release from tablets in in-vitro dissolution processes.
Research InterestsIndustrial Mathematics
Flow and chemical transport in porous media
Drug release from pharmaceutical devices (e.g. tablets)
- 2022 - Charlemont Grant
- 2019 - Travel grant
- 2011 - College of Science, Engineering and Food Science Graduate of the Year Award Runner Up
- 2010 - Four month research scholarship on CISEI program at University of California, Santa Barbara
- 2021 University of Limerick - Lecturer in Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- 2020 University of Limerick - Postdoctoral Research Associate
- 2016 University of Limerick - Postdoctoral Research Associate
- 2016 University of Limerick - Doctor of Philosophy
- 2012 University of Limerick - MSc
- 2011 University College Cork - BSc (Hons)