Jonathan Lavelle is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Work and Employment Studies, Kemmy Business School, University of Limerick. He completed his B.A. (Public Administration) in 2003, M.B.S. in Human Resource Management in 2004, and his PhD in 2009. He is a former IRCHSS Post-doctoral fellow, IRCHSS Government of Ireland Scholar and Marie Curie Scholar and has previously held the University of Limerick Alumni Scholarship and the Kemmy Business School Registrar's Scholarship.
My main research interests are international and comparative employment relations, with a particular interest in trade union recognition and avoidance and employee representative issues within multinational companies. I am currently involved in a number of national and international collaborative research projects, including the 'Survey of Human Resource (HR) Practices in Multinational Companies in Ireland', 'Multinational corporations, sub-national governance and human resources' and the recently Irish Government commissioned report on Zero hour and Low hour contracts in Ireland.
International and Comparative Employment Relations
International Human Resource Management
- 2009 - Best Paper, 'Swimming against the tide: Outward staffing flows from multinational subsidiaries'
- 2009 - Best Paper, 'Subtle but deadly? Union avoidance through double-breasting' among multinational companies'
- Collaborator, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Collaborator, Services Industrial Professional and Technical Union
- Bachelor of Business Studies Review,
- Assurance of Learning Committee for the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB),
- Knockaderry GAA, Member of the Executive Committee of Knockaderry GAA
- Rathkeale and District Credit Union, Director of the Rathkeale and District Credit Union
- Grenoble Ecole De Management - Visiting Lecturer
Industrial Relations in Europe Conference (IREC)
Turner, T., Lavelle, J. and D'Art, D.
Association of Industrial Relations Academics of Australian and New Zealand (AIRAANZ) Re-organising Work' Conference
Gunnigle, P., Lavelle, J. & Monaghan, S.
16th World Congress of International Labour and Employment Relations Association (ILERA) 'Beyond borders: governance of work in a global economy'
Almond, P., Gonzalez Menendez, M., Ferner, A., Gunnigle, P., Lavelle, J., Monaghan, S., Murray G. & Tregaskis, O.
Peer Reviewed Journal
Skating on thin ICE? A critical evaluation of a decade of research on the British Information and Consultation Regulations 2004
Butler, P., Gunnigle, P., Lavelle, J., & O'Sullivan, M.
Economic And Industrial Democracy DOI: 10.1177/0143831X15610205.