BiographyDr. Garvey's expertise is in risk management and finance. He specialises in market systems and technology and is founder of FarmHedge Ltd., a spinout from the University of Limerick. The FarmHedge platform secured seed funding following a high impact partnership with two of Europe's largest agribusiness companies. It is now being used by RWA (Austria's largest agri-wholesaler and grain trader) to coordinate grain trading and the sale of farm inputs with Austrian farmers via 30 farmer cooperatives. FarmHedge has also designed bespoke digital tools that streamline communication and trade for clients in Romania, Ukraine and the United Kingdom. FarmHedge was winner of the Irish Times Innovation Award (Fintech), 2019.
Dr. Garvey is currently collaborating with Dr. Ashish Sai (University of Amsterdam) and the BurrenLife project to pilot a platform that connects farmers directly with consumers. The Bramble Project is examining models that helps consumers reward farmers with verified environmental results through their food choices.Dr. Garvey's academic research includes; volatility forecasting using high frequency financial data, risk management in policymaking systems and innovation in risk transfer and insurance. His research has been disseminated to national and international media and general audiences as well as technical audiences in the policy and academic communities.
Prior to joining UL, Dr. Garvey was a Commercial Underwriter with Aviva Insurance Group and was Team Leader with Hibernian Investment Services (now part of Aviva Life and Pensions). He holds a BA (Economics and English) and an MA (Applied Economics) from NUI Galway and an MSc Investment and Treasury from Dublin City University. In 2014, Dr. Garvey was a Visiting Professor of Finance at the Gabelli School of Business, Fordham University and a Visiting Scholar at Stern Business School, New York University. His PhD in Finance was completed in 2008 under the supervision of Professor Liam Gallagher, Dublin City University.
Research InterestsLand Use and Sustainable Food Systems;
Market Systems and Technology Adoption;
Insurance Markets and Alternative Risk Transfer.
- 2016 - Innovation Award for Leading a University Spinout Company
- 2013 - Jennifer Burke Award
- 2016 FarmHedge Ltd - CEO
- 2002 University of Limerick - Senior Lecturer
- Research at Stern Business School - International Collaboration Type - New York University -USA
- Research and Teaching Role - Visiting Professor/Lecturer - Fordham University -USA -Fordham, Graduate School of Business, New York.
- Erik Payen - Host Incoming Visitor - Swiss Re Corporate Solutions -Switzerland
- Jingnan Wu - Joint Publication - Tongji University -China
- Judah Cohen - Host Incoming Visitor - Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) -USA
- Judah Cohen - Host Incoming Visitor - Atmospheric and Environmental Research Boston -USA
- Weifeng Ma - Joint Publication - Tongji University -China