I am a Chartered Health Psychologist and Senior Lecturer with the School of Allied Health, University of Limerick. I use insights from psychology to explore health related behaviours and communication.
Previously I spent 12 years teaching communication skills and health behaviour change at the University of Otago, New Zealand. I retain an interest in social pharmacy research, interprofessional education, communication between health professionals, adherence to medicines, and understanding how people respond to symptoms in everyday life. Despite a strong quantitative background, I also use qualitative and mixed methods in my research, much of which has been culturally located, looking at experiences of ethnic minorities or in low and middle income countries.
- Health behaviour change
- Health communication
- Lay perceptions of illness
- Research methods (mostly quantitative)
- 2018 Member, Society for Improving Psychological Science
- 2015 Member, European Association on Communication in Healthcare
- 2009 Member, European Health Psychology Society
- 2006 Member, Australasian Pharmaceutical Science Association
- 1999 Member, Linguistics Society of New Zealand
- Education and Health Sciences Research Ethics Committee,