Performance nutritionist and registered dietitian Dr. Catherine Norton works at the University of Limerick, Human Research Institute. She teaches on the BSc Sport & Exercise Sciences and MSc Sports Performance courses as well as researching in both food for health and performance nutrition. She is a graduate of DIT / TCD (Human Nutrition & Dietetics) and UL (PhD Nutrition), and an accredited Sport & Exercise Nutritionist (SENr High Performance).
Catherine spent three seasons as fulltime lead performance nutritionist to Munster Rugby and has also consulted with a wide range of sports disciplines at national, international and Olympic levels. She previously held Lead Performance Nutritionist role with the swimmers at the High Performance Centre in UL and with Rowing Ireland. Dr. Norton has also provided nutrition support to both junior and senior athletes with Athletics Ireland, Triathlon Ireland, Inter-County GAA and AIL rugby clubs.
Dr Norton's research interests investigate optimising nutrition for athletic training and competition, with a particular emphasis on peri-training nutrition (PTN). She is also involved in research considering appropriate protein intakes (quantity, quality and timing) for the prevention of age related losses in both muscle (sarcopaenia) and bone (osteopaenia).
My research interests investigate optimising nutrition for athletic training and competition, with a particular emphasis on peri-training nutrition (PTN). I am also involved in research considering appropriate protein intakes (quantity, quality and timing) for the prevention of age related losses in both muscle (sarcopaenia) and bone (osteopaenia).
My teaching is all related to nutrition for health and performance. I teach primarily on the MSc Sports Performance where I coordinate the Endurance Sports module and contribute to Speed, Strength and Team Sports modules. I am module coordinator and facilitator for the problem-based learning modules and also manage student placements.
I also teach on the BSc Sport & Exercise Science nutrition and metabolism module.
- 2014 Munster Rugby - Head of Performance Nutrition
- 2010 University of Limerick - Casual Lecturer
- 2010 Danone - Infant Nutrition Specialist
- 2008 Irish Institue of Sport - Performance Nutrition Service Provider (Consultant)
- 2007 Mid West Dietetic Clinic - Lead Clinical & Performance Nutritionist
- 2006 Fresenius Kabi Ireland Ltd. - Clinical Nutrition Specialist
- 2001 Roche Products Ireland Ltd. - Clinical Nutritionist / Dietitian
- 2014 University of Limerick - PhD
- 2013 ISAK - Certificate
- 2001 Trinity College, Dublin - BSc (Honours - 2.1)
- 2001 Dublin Institute of Technology - Graduate Diploma
- Irish Institute of Sport - Performance Nutrition Service Provision
- Munster Rugby - Performance Nutrition Service Provision
- Kildare GAA - Performance Nutrition Service Provision
- Clare GAA - Performance Nutrition Service Provision
- Limerick GAA - Performance Nutrition Service Provision
- UL Beo - Performance Nutrition Service Provision
- Member, Irish Nutrition & Dietetic Institute
- Member, British Dietetic Association
- Member (past Chair), Sports Nutrition Interest Group (INDI)
- Member, Sport & Exercise Nutrition Register (High Performance)
- Member, Nutrition Society