BiographyDr. Briga Hynes is a Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship at the Kemmy Business School, University of Limerick. Briga's teaching and training focuses on generating an Entrepreneurial and Innovative mindset and behaviours in a diverse range of learners and with a focus on inter and intra disciplinary initiatives with groups across Business, Allied Health, Engineering, Biomedical Science, Equine Science and Aeronautical Engineering.
Her research investigates two streams, one on the different pedagogical approaches to creating entrepreneurial and creative mindsets in a cross disciplinary manner and the second stream explores the dynamics of social innovation and social enterprise scaling strategies. In addition to scholarly contributions Briga's research directly impacts the policy and practitioner levels. For example, her research on Social Enterprise Policy in Ireland Creating and Enabling a Supportive Environment for the Social Enterprise' (commissioned by Irish Local Development Network 2016) was used in the development of Social Enterprise Policy. The recommendations in the research on training and mentoring have resulted in transformation at practitioner (social enterprises and community groups) levels. Her entrepreneurial learning research has informed National policy on Entrepreneurship Education at second and third level and was part of the good practice cases used in the EntreCompEngage, the Entrepreneurship Competence Framework published by the European Commission (https://ied.eu/entrecomp-entrepreneurship). Briga has received expert speaker invitations and contributed to high-level seminars by agencies such as the Irish Local Development Network, Paul Partnership, and Department of Rural Affairs, and professional organisations (Social Entrepreneurs Ireland, Thinkteck, BNest at the Nexus Innovation Centre). She has successfully secured over 230, 000 in EU and National funding for international collaborative projects for the Design and Delivery of Entrepreneurial and Creative Thinking Bootcamps for Secondary School pupils, Entrepreneurship Education, Digital Technology in SMEs and the adoption of ICT in Female enterprises.
Briga is a strong advocate external stakeholder collaboration and community engagement with the broader network of entrepreneurs, owner-managers, community groups, professional organisations and government agencies. Examples of activities include membership of government agency committees (Forfas, Local Enterprise Offices, Department of Rural Affairs); mentor to early stage entrepreneurs; project evaluator; consultant; the development of training interventions and the completion of commissioned research with organisations such as Social Entrepreneurs Ireland, BNest (first social incubator programme in Ireland), Social Innovation Fund Ireland, Paul Partnership and THINKTECH Ireland (technology based social enterprises); Enterprise Ireland and Local Enterprise Offices.Briga has held and continues to hold a number of senior leadership roles within the University serving as Head of Department of Management and Marketing, Member of KBS Management Group, Programme Director for Postgraduate and the BBS Undergraduate programmes, Chair of the KBS Student Status Committee and a member of Accreditation Committees for AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS and KBS Athena Swan.
Research InterestsBriga focuses on two research streams, one on the different pedagogical approaches to creating entrepreneurial and creative mindsets in a cross disciplinary manner and the second stream explores the dynamics of social innovation and social enterprise scaling strategies. Within the entrepreneurial learning stream her research examines the process of (embedded) entrepreneurial learning and evaluating new ways of teaching entrepreneurial thinking that resonate with the lived experience of entrepreneurs. Her social entrepreneurship research examines the start-up, processes of growth and scaling in social enterprises through investigating the interconnected and often complex relationships between the environmental determinants, social entrepreneur dynamics (internal) and social forces (external) impacting on scaling strategies.
- 2017 KBS Research Committee,
- 2016 Goal 4 KBS Strategic Plan Implementation Committee,
- 2016 ' Member of the KBS Athena Swan Self-Assessment Committee ,
- 2013 AMBA Accrediation Committee ,
- 2008 Social Entrepreneurs Ireland, Social Entrepreneurs Ireland foster and encourage social entrepreneurship in Ireland by providing a range of direct supports to early stage social entrepreneurs and by actively engaging with all key sectors in Irish society to promote social entrepreneurship
- 2007 University of Limerick Access Campus Board, The University of Limerick Access Campus will challenge educational disadvantage in areas of economic deprivation with particular emphasis on Limerick City South. It will work in partnerhsip with Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership (LEDP) to support those in primary and secondary education to participate fully in the formal education system in order that they may have equality of opportunity to access third level education and will promote and support second chance learning through the provision of appropriate educational opportunities for the adult population.
- 2007 Management Development Council of Ireland, The Management Development Council (MDC) was established by Forfas to advise Government on the adequacy and relevance of management development provision for the SME sector in Ireland and provide recommendations on how to upgrade leadership and management skills
- 2003 Limerick City Enterprise Board, Limerick City Enterprise Board facilitates the creation of sustainable enterprises through the provision of financial assistance,business guidance and training supports.
- 2002 Limerick City Development Boaard, The Limerick City Development Board is comprised of 27 people representing State Agencies, Local Government, Local Development & Social Partners List of Members On Governance the Boards agreed to: ¿X work towards an inclusive, holistic strategy ¿X seek to create the capacity in the City to address change in the economic, social and cultural dimension of the City ¿X work towards the creation of equality of opportunity in the City ¿X work towards a City which is self-confident and accessing of all resources in delivering the strategy.
- Department of Management and Marketing Quality Review Committee ,
- - KBS Joint Coordinator for the fourth goal of the University's Strategic Plan, Pioneering and Connected' ,
Mentoring and advising UL Enactus team on the development and implementation of projects aimed at bringing together student, academic and business leaders who are committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to improve the quality of life and standard of living for people in need.
- ' Member of Kemmy Business School Management Group,
- Kemmy Business Schools' PRME Committee. ,
- KBS Student Status Committee ,
- 2012 Kingston University, UK - PhD
- 1992 University of Limerick - MBS
- 1987 University of Limerick - BBS
- 1999 Professioanl organisaion for individuals working in area of marketing., Marketing Institute of Ireland
- Member , Irelands Network of Teachers and Researchers of Entrepreneurship (INTRE)
- Member , Irish Academy of Management
- Member , Institute of Small Business Enterprises (ISBE)
- Member, The European Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Member, The European Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- 1994 Kemmy Business School, University of Limerick - Lecturer
- - Provision of advice and training for owner-managers at various stages of business growth and development. The completion of feasibility studies and business plans.
- - Outgoing Visitor - The Women¿s Organisation -England
- Audrone Kisieliene' - Funding Award - Social Innovation Fund -Lithuania
- Caridad Mtnez - Funding Award - Inercia Digital -Spain
- Eva Fabry - Funding Award - European Centre for Women and Technology -Norway
- Evelina Prodanova' - Funding Award - Bulgarian Centre of Women in Technology -Bulgaria
- Lisa Mc Mullan - Funding Award - The Women¿s Organisation -England
- Sonja Gavez' - Funding Award - Economic Institute Maribor -Slovenia