R.J. (Dick) FitzGerald is a professor at the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Limerick delivering undergraduate modules in food chemistry, food processing and milk protein ingredients. His health related research interests include the enzymatic generation of biofunctional hydrolysates from food proteins (i.e., from dairy, plant, cereal, fish and algal sources). The Proteins and Peptides Research Group, which je leads, are interested in bioactive peptides which beneficially modulate conditions associated with cardiovascular health, type 2 diabetes, satiety, mineral binding and allergy. He is Principal Investigator (PI)/partner at UL on the following projects:
- Extraction and validation of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredients from brewer’s spent grain (2013 -2016) DAFM – FIRM programme.
- Profiling and optimising chemical composition of red sea vegetables for enhanced bioactive yields (2013 -2016) DAFM – FIRM programme.
- Marine sourced peptides for glycaemic management (2013-2016) DAFM – FIRM programme.
- Mining marine materials for novel functional ingredients that modulate the immune response for benefit in inflammation and allergy (2014-2018) DAFM – FIRM programme.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredients for health enhancement in the older population (2013-2016) DAFM – FIRM programme.
- Food for Health Ireland (FHI, 2013-2018) Enterprise Ireland-Dairy Industry.
- Dairy Processing Technology Centre (DPTC, 2014 – 2018) Enterprise Ireland-Dairy Industry.
O'Sullivan, S.M., O'Callaghan, Y.C., O'Keeffe, M.B., FitzGerald, R.J., O'Brien, N.M. (2019). Immunomodulatory activity of 5 kDa permeate fractions of casein hydrolysates generated using a range of enzymes in Jurkat T cells and RAW264.7 macrophages. International Dairy Journal. 91: 9-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2018.12.005
Parthsarathy, V., McLaughlin, C. M., Harnedy, P.A., Allsopp, P.J., Crowe, W., McSorley, E.M., FitzGerald, R. J. & O'Harte, F.P. (2019). Boarfish (Capros aper) protein hydrolysate has potent insulinotropic and GLP‐1 secretory activity in vitro and acute glucose lowering effects in mice. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 54 (1): 271-281. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13975
Nongonierma A.B. & FitzGerald R.J. Features of dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP‐IV) inhibitory peptides from dietary proteins. (2019). Journal of Food Biochemistry. 43 (1). https://doi.org/10.1111/jfbc.12451
Manuel F., Maria, C., Romero, A., FitzGerald, R.J. (2018 online – currently in press). Characterisation of the bioactive properties and microstructure of chickpea protein-based oil in water emulsions. Food Research International. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2018.12.022
Connolly, A., Cermeño, M., Crowley, D., O'Callaghan, Y., O'Brien, N.M., FitzGerald, R.J. (2018 online – currently in press). Characterisation of the in vitro bioactive properties of alkaline and enzyme extracted brewers' spent grain protein hydrolysates. Food Research International. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2018.12.008