Dr Sinéad O’Keeffe is a Royal Society – Science Foundation Ireland University Research Fellow within the Optical Fibre Sensors Research Centre, Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering at the University of Limerick, Ireland. She is leading a team that focuses on the development of optical fibre based sensor systems for biomedical applications. Her current research primarily focuses on radiotherapy for prostate and gynaecological cancer treatment. Sensors are being developed to measure the real-time radiation dose to the tumour and nearby critical structures and to measure the oxygen concentration of the tumour, which determines how resilient the tumour is to the radiation. She is co-ordinating the recently funded European H2020 Research and Innovation Programme Project “ORIGIN” developing an optical fibre dose imaging platform for adaptive brachytherapy.
- Kam, W., O’Keeffe, M., O’Sullivan, K., Mohammed, W.S., O’Keeffe, S., Lewis, E. and Viphavakit, C., 2019. A validation study of a polymer optical fiber sensor for monitoring lumbar spine movement. Materials, 12(5), p.762. DOI: ma12050762 https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/12/5/762
- Chen, L., O'Keeffe, S., Chen, S., Woulfe, P., Gillespie, S., Jiang, B. and Lewis, E., 2019. Investigation of YAG: Ce Based Optical Fibre Sensor for Use in Ultra-Fast External Beam Radiotherapy Dosimetry. Journal of Lightwave Technology. DOI: JLT.2019.2919605 https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8723602
- Viphavakit, C., O’Keeffe, S., Yang, M., Andersson-Engels, S. and Lewis, E., 2018. Gold Enhanced Hemoglobin Interaction in a Fabry–Pérot Based Optical Fiber Sensor for Measurement of Blood Refractive Index. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 36(4), pp.1118-1124. DOI: JLT.2017.2782078 https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8171719
- P. Woulfe, S. O'Keeffe and F. J. Sullivan, 2017. EP-1800: Optical Fibre Luminescence Sensor for Real-time LDR Brachytherapy Dosimetry. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 123, pp.S988-S989. https://www.thegreenjournal.com/article/S0167-8140(17)32162-X/pdf
- S. O'Keeffe, M. Grattan, A. Hounsell, P. Woulfe, D. McCarthy, and E. Lewis, “A review of recent advances in optical fibre sensors for in-vivo dosimetry during radiotherapy”, British Journal of Radiology, 2015, Jun; 88(1050):20140702. DOI: bjr.20140702. https://www.birpublications.org/doi/full/10.1259/bjr.20140702