The Health Research Institute at the University of Limerick (HRI at UL) must process the personal data of its members (you) in order to carry out its functions and manage its operations. This privacy statement sets out how the HRI at UL uses and protects information and is committed to compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Data Protection Acts 1988-2018 and the 2011 e-privacy regulations “Data Protection Law”.
Personal data and what is held
Personal data is information which identifies you or which can be used with other information to identify you e.g. name, contact details, email, research information. The HRI at UL collects personal data in a variety of circumstances such as when you register for an event, training course or workshop run by the HRI at UL or sign up to one of our HRI memberships or contact us through our website. The HRI at UL also publishes members’ grant success and achievements in its Annual Reports and uploads members’ biographies (supplied by members) to the HRI webpage on the UL website.
The lawful basis for the HRI at UL processing personal data
UL is the Data Controller for personal data processed about you. The HRI at UL processes your personal data on the basis of our membership contract with you.
Security of personal data
UL will employ reasonable and appropriate administrative, technical, personnel, procedural and physical measures to safeguard your information against loss, theft and unauthorised users’ access, uses or modifications.
The following principles apply:
- Confidentiality - only people who are authorised to use the data will be authorised to access it.
- Staff are required to maintain the confidentiality of any of your data to which they have access.
- Integrity - the University will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that your personal data is maintained accurately and remains suitable for the purpose for which it is processed.
This personal data is not shared with any third parties nor transferred to other countries and the HRI at UL is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Any information you provide to the HRI at UL will only be used in accordance with UL’s Data Protection Policy.
Retention of personal data
Your personal data will be retained for five years after you cease to be a member of the HRI at UL.
Your rights relating to your personal data include:
- your right to be informed (via this privacy notice and other communications);
- your right to request access to Personal Data held by the University, and to have any incorrect Personal Data rectified;
- your right (where appropriate) to the restriction of processing concerning you or to object to processing;
- your right to have Personal Data erased (where appropriate); and
- your right to data portability regarding certain automated Personal Data;
- with regard to rights within the legislation relating to “automated decision-making”, the University does not use such processes and they do not arise; and
- your right to restrict the use of the data we hold and the right to object to the University using your data - please contact the Information Management team if you believe your personal data is being used unlawfully or you have reason particular to your personal situation why we should not be processing it.
If you have any queries in relation to our processing of personal data, including how to exercise your rights under Data Protection Law, please contact UL’s Data Protection Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, please contact HRI@ul.ie.