Provost & Deputy President - Professor Nigel Healy
Nigel Healey is Professor of International Higher Education and Vice-President (Global and Community Engagement) at the University of Limerick. Since October 2020, he has been serving as Provost & Deputy President on an interim basis. Prior to his appointment at the University of Limerick in April 2020, he held senior academic leadership positions at Fiji National University, Nottingham Trent University, the University of Canterbury (New Zealand) and Manchester Metropolitan University, as well as teaching and research positions at the University of Leicester and Leeds Beckett University.
In addition to his academic roles, he has served as an economic policy advisor to the prime minister of Belarus and the deputy minister of economy of the Russian Federation and managed a number of multinational research and economic development projects in different parts of the world, including eastern Europe, southeast Asia and Sri Lanka. He has been a visiting professor at Sichuan University, the University of Szczecin, Belarus State University, Kent State University, and South Dakota State University.
His current research interests are in the internationalisation of higher education, transnational education and higher education management and policy. Recent research projects have focused on the management of international branch campuses and the alignment of stakeholder interests in transnational partnerships
He is chair of the QS Global Academic Advisory Committee and, until recently, a member of the Council of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU). He is a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute and the New Zealand Institute of Management and Leadership and a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He holds a BA (Hons.) Economics from the University of Nottingham, an MA Economics from the University of Leeds, an MBA from the University of Warwick, a DBA in Higher Education Management from the University of Bath and a PhD in Management from Nottingham Trent University.
The Provost & Deputy President is the University’s chief academic officer, with responsibility for overseeing the quality and delivery of the academic programmes offered by the university and all aspects of a student’s academic journey from admission to graduation. This includes:
- effective accreditation and administration processes for academic programmes ensuring that new programmes are consistent with the university’s academic regulations and that there is a process of continuous academic quality assurance and enhancement;
- fostering a culture of innovation in learning and teaching, to ensure that students benefit from the latest developments in pedagogy and learning technology;
- the effective administration and maintenance of student records to manage the student journey, from initial application, scholarships, enrolment, timetabling, examinations, examination boards, progression and the conferment of awards;
- providing a supportive environment in which students can access everything they need to succeed in their academic journey, from a world-class library and Coop office to a comprehensive range of pastoral and academic support services; and
- ensuring that all students can benefit from higher education regardless of their background or circumstances, by promoting equality and diversity as lived values and proactively assisting underrepresented groups to achieve their potential.