Linguistics with TESOL
NFQ Level 8 major Award Honours Bachelor Degree
Entry Route: Bachelor of Arts - LM002
Linguistics with TESOL (Teaching English to speakers of other Languages) can be taken as part of the UL Arts Degree as a joint honours combination. Review the subjects you can study with Linguistics with TESOL by looking on the BA Arts course page.
You are fascinated by all aspects of human language and communication; you are interested in finding out where language comes from and how we acquire it, how language changes over time, how it varies between people and between places, and between different genders and generations. You are keen to explore the role of language in wider society and to learn how languages work in contact and competition with each other. Studying linguistics with TESOL involves becoming a language expert. This means not just improving your language and communication skills but also learning about languages in the world.
Why study Linguistics with TESOL at UL?
The Linguistics and TESOL Section is located in the School of Modern Languages and Applied Linguistics. All members of staff are highly active in research , and there is a close alignment between research and teaching expertise. Particular features of the Linguistics with TESOL pathway at University of Limerick include:
- Foundation modules in linguistics and sociolinguistics (language in society) in your first year to give you a thorough introduction to the subject;
- Modules on researching language in your second and third years, which will equip you with the tools to carry out research and analysis on a variety of types of language and texts;
- Specialist modules covering topics such as - language and technology; language policy and politics; Irish- English; multilingualism; language and globalization; and media discourse analysis;
- Training in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages in a specialized suite of three modules;
- One year off-campus gaining valuable work experience through cooperative education placement and intercultural experience through Erasmus/ study abroad in one of our partner universities.