Office of the Ombudsman / Office of the Ombudsman for Children
From 1 May 2013, in circumstances where all of the University of Limerick's internal procedures have been exhausted and where a complainant is still dissatisfied, a complaint may be made to either the:
- Office of the Ombudsman (where complainant is 18 or over)
- Office of the Ombudsman for Children (where complainant is under 18 years of age/where complaint is being made by an adult on their behalf)
The Office of the Ombudsman/Ombudsman for Children can investigate complaints* about our administrative actions/procedures as well as associated alleged delays or inaction. These Offices provide an impartial, independant and free complaints handling service.
The Corporate Secretary is the designated contact point for any matters under the Ombudsman Act and has responsibility for ensuring that matters reported to the Ombudsman in relation to the University are handled in a prompt and comprehensive manner.
Office of the Ombudsman
6 Earlsfort Terrace
T: 1830 22 30 30 (lo-call) / 01 639 5600
Office of the Ombudsman for Children
52-56 Great Strand Street
T: 1800 20 20 40 (freephone)
* Certain categories of complaint are excluded from examination by the Ombudsman/Ombudsman for Children (as relevant) and these include where the complaint:
- Relates to an action which took place prior to 1 May 2013
- Is made more than 12 months after the action occurred or when the complainant became aware of the action
- Has been considered internally by the University and where the internal procedures in place include an external review/appeal layer
- Relates to recruitments/appointments or related terms and conditions (including pensions and benefits)
- May be considered by the Pensions Ombudsman
- Is the subject of civil legal proceedings
- Where the complainant has a statutory right to have the subject matter of the complaint considered by a court by way of appeal, reference or review.