The aim of our committee is to ensure that research is conducted according to best practice and in accordance with ethical standards in research. Our first priority is to safeguard the health, welfare, dignity and rights of human participants and the researchers undertaking the work in order to minimise risk to these parties as well as the University of Limerick itself. It should be noted that our REC facilitates, not hinders, valuable research and to protect you the researcher from unjustified criticism and/or legal action. We are here to help you so please utilise this committee when planning your research, we prefer to chat with researchers first if you have any questions about the ethical aspects of your work.
The deadline for the monthly Ethics Committee is the first Thursday of each month. Note the Committee does not meet in August.
Guidelines and application forms are available at the links below if you need assistance please email: Johanna.Griffin@ul.ie
However, a 'Chair's Decision' can be made in situations where minor amendments are required to a previously approved application that is needed to be reviewed immediately. Please see form below.
It is advised you view the below videos before proceeding with your Ethics application. The first four videos are no longer than six minutes in length.
- Do I need ethical approval?
- How to fill out an application (Sections 1-4)
- How to fill out an application (Section 5a - 5c)
- How to fill out an application (Section 5d - 5f)
- How to fill out an application (Section 6 - 8)
Please note that an Ethics Application must contain the following:
- 1. Application form
- The majority of applications will use the Expedited Ethics form
- The Full Ethics Form is only in the case where underage and/or vulnerable participants are involved - see video How to fill out an application (Sections 1-4) for more information.
- 2. Relevant documents
- Please find these forms within in the Application form that the participants will view i.e. Participation Information Sheet(s) and Consent form(s)
- These need to be written with the participant in mind, avoid complex jargon and ensure that grammar is checked.
- If there are separate parts to the study (survey, followed by a focus group) then separate Information Sheets and Consent Forms need to be provided for each phase.
- 3. Interview Questions/Survey Questions
- For each phase of the study please provide the Survey, Interview and Focus group questions - these are important to provide so we can make a decision
- For even semi-structured interviews and focus groups we will need the foundational and overarching questions being asked.
- For online surveys please provide the actual questions with the application as well as the link to the draft survey.
- 4. SE Research Privacy Notice Form
- Please ensure to correctly fill this out and answer any yellow text. Note that some of this information cannot be completed until after approval.
- 5. Link to the Microsoft Consent Form (surveys/interviews/focus groups/workshops, consent)
- This is important to provide, otherwise, we will send your application back and this will delay your work. Questions/themes from surveys/interviews/focus groups/workshops must be provided in a word document included in the application form as well as the links to these).
Expedited Ethics Form - most studies will use this form
MAC Compatible Expedited Ethics Form
OR Full Ethics Form - for studies that include under 18s and/or vulnerable participants (see form and video for definitions)
UL Child Protection Form - to be submitted only if using participants under the age of 18.
Committee Members 2023/24:
|Associate Professor John Mulvihill (Chair)||School of Engineering|
|Associate Professor Anthony Comer||School of Engineering|
|Associate Professor Orest Shardt||Department of Chemical Sciences|
|Professor Hussain Mahdi||Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering|
|Associate Professor Eoin White (Vice-Chair)||School of Architecture and Product Design|
|Associate Professor David O'Sullivan||Department of Mathematics & Statistics|
|Associate Professor Shirin Moghaddam||Department of Mathematics & Statistics|
|Associate Professor Ronan Courtney||Department of Biological Sciences|
|Associate Professor Fabiana Sarda||Department of Biological Sciences|
|Associate Professor Luis Padrela||Department of Chemical Sciences|
|Associate Professor Katie Crowley||Department of Computer Science & Information Systems|
|Associate Professor Sarah Guerin||Department of Physics|
Recording Secretary: Johanna Griffin, Johanna.Griffin@ul.ie