Note on securing accommodation in Ireland
We would like you to note the below regarding securing accommodation in Ireland currently. We have indicated this in communications over the last number of weeks and months to all incoming students.
Accommodation at the University of Limerick:
Please note that as in many European countries post-pandemic, there is currently a shortage of student accommodation across Ireland and this unfortunately applies to Limerick as well.
We have reserved a number of on-campus rooms for incoming international students. However this allocation is not sufficient to guarantee a room for each student.
Information on accommodation in Limerick is as below. Further updates will be provided to you as you progress with your applications and admission to the University of Limerick. Please do check your email regularly.
UL has eight student villages on campus. Should you receive a room in one of those on campus villages you will have your own private study bedroom equipped with a good size study desk and free access to high speed internet via the UL wired network. All accommodation offers a private bedroom with shared living space and kitchen. Some of our apartment style residences offer en-suite. All villages are equipped with a full set of inventory. From pots, pans, pillows and duvets to a TV in the living room, the accommodation team, in Plassey Campus Centre, will have thought of all the essentials so that you do not have to go to additional expense.
Off-Campus / Private Accommodation
Studentpad lets you search for student accommodation in areas close to the university. Join the University of Limerick Studentpad to get property alerts emailed directly to you whenever accommodation becomes available that matches what you are looking for. This includes a shared house, entire house, apartment or digs accommodation.
Please note, the university does not accept liability for accommodation advertised on the off campus database.
We are aware that there have been reports of accommodation scams targeting international students across Europe and it is important to take care when choosing off-campus accommodation from private providers.
Below are steps to proceed with when selecting off campus options:
- Pick a property from a reputable source (some examples can be found on our FAQ page). Remember that accommodation advertised via social media may not be verifiable).
- Request lots of pictures including the front of the property.
- Google map the address and the picture of the front should match google maps.
- Request a picture identification from landlord (you can mention that you are concerned about accommodation frauds).
- Once the above is in order, request a live video call to view the property (the pictures should match the live call and, the identity of the landlord should match the i.d previously provided). The call should be recorded if possible so that the Gardai can follow up the identity of the suspect should the property turn out to be fraudulent.
- When making payment, use trusted means like banks. If using Paypal do not click friends/family as a reason for payment. This can cause issues if looking to get refunded as you have declared the payment is to a trusted friend and family member when this is not the case.