What is it?
The Sanctuary Scholarship offers opportunities for those from refugee and asylum-seeking communities to study at the University of Limerick. Scholarships are awarded to study:
- Mature Student Access Programme
- BA Arts BBS Business Studies to Mature Student applicants and to applicants coming direct from the Irish Leaving Certificate
The scholarship offers support towards the costs of higher education.
Who should apply?
You may have faced barriers to accessing education in the past, but don't let this stop you from applying.
The Sanctuary Scholarship takes into account different educational backgrounds and language abilities.
Eligibility criteria and the selection process
Before making an application for the Scholarship Award please ensure that you meet our eligibility criteria as follows, and be able to prove this:
- An international protection applicant or those granted international protection (i.e.) An asylum seeker/refugee/ who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status
- Have completed the Leaving Certificate and/or a preparation to University course (e.g. Access Certificate) or be
- Have applied to the University of Limerick through the CAO to study the BA Arts or BBS
- Currently attending a school, college, community or voluntary group which can provide a reference in support of your application.
- Unable to access mainstream funding, e.g. student finance or a local authority grant. Those that are classed as care leavers and previously were under local authority care can however apply.
Applicants must meet these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order to apply. Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the scholarship.
If you have any questions about whether or not you should apply for a scholarship please contact: ULSanctuary@ul.ie.