Message from President Kerstin Mey
We face unprecedented global environmental, social and economic challenges, approaching a tipping point that threatens to overstep our planetary boundaries (Steffen et al. 2015). As a higher education institution that is rooted in the region and globally connected, we have significant opportunities to deliver against the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), working with our staff and students, as well as our alumni body, local and regional communities, business and industry, and the government. 'As a higher education institution that is locally rooted and globally connected, we offer significant opportunities to deliver against the SDGs, working with our faculty, staff and students, as well as our wider stakeholder community and alumni body.
The University of Limerick is committed to the development and implementation of a holistic approach to sustainable development, in partnership with the communities we serve, locally and regionally and in our national and international alliances. With the aim of enabling our students, graduates and staff as ‘active citizens’ who contribute to the well-being and future of our planet’.
Professor Kerstin Mey (Interim President, University of Limerick).
University of Limerick is committed to:
- The principles of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Pioneering educational experiences for our students to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to promote sustainable development.
- Undertaking research that provides insights and potential solutions to the sustainable development challenges.
- Contributing to the achievement of the sustainable development goals by ensuring our campus is environmentally sustainable and socially inclusive.
- Building and shaping our interactions with external stakeholders to support the implementation of the SDG’s across our region and beyond.
- Reporting on our activities in support of the Sustainable Development Goals.
2020 – 2030 - A Sustainable University.
2030 – 2050 - A Regenerative University
- Inspiring Global Citizenship (our people).
- Driving Sustainable Development (our planet).