Miriam graduated with a primary degree in physiotherapy from University College Dublin and gained experience in a wide variety of specialities during her early career working in Ireland, both public and private sector, and Australia. As a Senior Physiotherapist in Adult Cystic Fibrosis, she established the physiotherapy service for adult patients with cystic fibrosis in the Midwest and worked with colleagues throughout Ireland to establish a National Physiotherapy Special Interest Group. She then moved to work as a Senior Physiotherapist in the Community Healthcare Organisation, establishing physiotherapy services in the west and south county Limerick areas, supporting a multidisciplinary approach to patient care.
In 2010, she completed her Masters in Healthcare Management and shortly after, successfully transitioned to her first non-clinical role with the Irish Hospice Foundation as Programme Coordinator for the Hospice Friendly Hospitals Programme in the Midwest. She subsequently commenced as Patient Advocacy and Liaison Services (PALS) Manager in UL Hospitals Group. This was a new position, the purpose of which was to develop and implement a PALS service that was responsive to patients’ needs, working to strengthen the voice of the patient and public in planning and delivering health services and having a strong focus on quality improvement.
In addition, Miriam holds a Diploma in Quality Improvement and Leadership and is a faculty member of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland. She was most recently involved in delivering the National COPD Collaborative (2018-2019. Most recently, she has become a professional coach affiliated with the International Coaching Federation.
- National Patient Experience Programme project lead for the UL Hospitals Group
- Development of a PALS Volunteer service across three hospital sites
- National Communications Programme working group founder member
- National Volunteer Policy working group
- Chair and founder of UL Hospitals Group Health Literacy Committee
- Co-author of Patient and Public Participation Strategy for the UL Hospitals Group
- Partner with the PPI Ignite research project with the University of Limerick
- Qualified Executive and Professional Coach with the International Coaching Federation.